No matter your industry, there are similar requirements and responsibilities that link all marketing managers together. In order to write a stellar marketing manager job description, you’ll need to know common career paths, role expectations and the tools they use to succeed. We’ll cover all that in this article.
Table of Contents
- What Does a Marketing Manager Do?
- Marketing Manager Skills and Responsibilities
- Marketing Manager Salary Information
- Marketing Manager Job Description Template
- Five Marketing Manager Job Description Examples
Access our entire library of templates for your open roles.
What Does a Marketing Manager Do?
Marketing managers are responsible for creating content that attracts target personas and converts leads into customers. In order to gain the skill set needed to succeed in this role, marketing managers typically have prior experience in an entry-level marketing job, such as a marketing coordinator, marketing specialist, content marketer or a similar role.
What Is a Marketing Manager?
Additionally, marketing managers may have a bachelor’s degree in marketing, business management, communications or the equivalent in experience. Depending on the role, marketing managers may require a master’s degree or the equivalent in experience. It can also be helpful to seek out applicants who are familiar with using a few types of marketing tools, such as:
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Tools
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Tools
- Data and Analytics Reporting Tools
- Social Media Tools
- Content Creation Tools
- Email Marketing Tools
- Lead Generation and Capture Tools
- Marketing Automation Tools
Marketing Manager Skills and Responsibilities
Marketing managers are often responsible for managing all or many of the marketing channels utilized at a company, including but not limited to print and digital media campaigns, email marketing, social media marketing, content marketing, webinars, events and more.
Top Marketing Manager Skills
- Able to manage marketing campaigns
- Capable of coordinating email and social media marketing strategy
- Well-versed in a variety of content creation tools
- Identifying marketing qualified leads
- Monitoring and analyzing data related to lead generation
- Willing to collaborate with other teams
A large part of their role involves collaborating with the sales team to ensure marketing qualified leads (MQL) are funneled to the sales team based on defined target personas. The better marketing managers are at identifying MQLs, the more efficient the sales team can be at identifying sales qualified leads and converting them to customers.
Content Marketing Tools
Many marketing managers need to be well-versed in a variety of content creation from short social media content to long-form eBooks and webinars so that they can tailor their strategies to better attract different audiences.
- Google Docs
Social Media Marketing Tools
At larger companies, there may be more specialized roles for different channels, like a social media marketer and an email marketing specialist, who may report to the marketing manager or director. That’s why having a marketing manager who knows how to use these common social media marketing tools can be a boon:
- Sprout Social
- Sprout Social
Search Engine Optimization Tools
To continuously improve their strategies, they need to be skilled in monitoring and analyzing data related to lead generation, engagement, funnel tracking and automation to name a few. In order to help marketing managers optimize their efforts, there are a variety of online tools and automation platforms like these search engine optimization tools:
- Google Analytics
- Google Search Console
- Screaming Frog
Marketing Manager Salary Information
Including salary information on job descriptions helps candidates determine whether or not a role is within their salary expectations, saving you time reviewing applications that won't work out in the end.
To give you a better idea of what marketing managers expect to make, we’ve included average salary information from seven major hiring markets in the United States. To further your research, click on the links below.
- Austin, TX: $97,309
- Boston, MA: $95,212
- Chicago, IL: $92,931
- Colorado: $80,498
- Los Angeles, CA: $97,430
- New York, NY: $99,266
- Seattle, WA: $89,550
Cross market average salary for a marketing manager: $89,112
Marketing Manager Job Description Template
We’ve created a customizable marketing manager job description template for you to take with you and tailor to represent your specific role.
Again, please make sure to alter this template to better reflect the responsibilities and requirements of your team and incorporate some personality.
Use this section to provide a high level overview of your company, culture, perks and benefits, career development opportunities and anything else that will get candidates excited about your company.
- Set annual and quarterly marketing goals and monitor performance of lead generation, funnel performance, meetings booked, engagement, product launches and automation.
- Own all marketing channels, including email campaigns, social media, SEO, pay-per-click, events, PR, webinars, product releases and inbound/outbound marketing strategies.
- Align sales and marketing goals to create accurate target personas, build prospect lists and segment audiences.
- Establish and allocate a marketing budget and resources to different channels based on performance metrics.
- Continuously track lead flow to ensure Sales channels are managed and customer success remains top priority.
- Create stellar short and long-form marketing content from emails to social media campaigns, webinars, articles and eBooks.
- Build relationships with other marketing professionals in the industry and continue learning about industry trends.
- Collaborate with internal Marketing, Sales, Operations, Content and Design teams and report directly to the Marketing Director.
- X years experience in demand generation, account-based marketing, field marketing or digital marketing.
- X years experience in a leadership position managing other employees.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in marketing, business management, communications (or similar degree) or the equivalent in experience.
- Experience with inbound, digital or content marketing creating long and short-form copy for websites, white papers, social and digital assets.
- Ability to analyze data and present it in simple terms to stakeholders.
- Strong communications skills in writing, speaking and presenting.
- Knowledge of [insert your tools or platforms].
Include a portfolio of successful events, webinars, social media campaigns, email campaigns, etc.
Five Marketing Manager Job Description Examples
Now that you know what to look for in a marketing manager, let’s see how a few companies put that information into cohesive job descriptions. You’ll notice we’ve redacted some information to respect the privacy of the companies that originally posted them.
1. Marketing Manager, Account Based Marketing
This role is responsible for planning, organizing and executing programs that generate new prospects and advance existing opportunities for the sales team within specific, targeted accounts and contacts. They will act as a liaison between marketing and sales teams to develop 1:1, and 1: few tactics designed to penetrate targeted accounts.
The ABM manager leads and builds marketing plans consisting of multi-touch, multi-dimensional programs including both inbound and outbound tactics as well as managing third-party vendors to meet pipeline requirements of account segments. You should be creative, client-focused, innovative and dedicated.
- Work with Demand Gen Director to develop, implement and scale target account strategy to support account-based selling.
- Develop and implement pipeline generation and acceleration programs for specific, targeted accounts and contacts jointly with sales.
- Create annual and quarterly marketing plans and targets for targeted sales accounts and contacts that focus on new logos and accelerate existing opportunities.
- Interface with sales to determine sales enablement needs, and work with product marketing to develop tools, programs in a box, training and content.
- Evaluate, select and manage vendors that contribute to local demand creation programs including [redacted].
- Communicate and educate the sales team on plans and outcomes.
- Design & execute 1:1, 1: few, and broad-based marketing initiatives to meet pipeline requirements of varied account segments.
- Track lead flow to ensure the appropriate sales channels are following up on marketing in a timely manner.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive account profiles and target personas; oversee a database of named contacts to align marketing and sales in defining the target audience required to achieve account goals.
- Identify opportunities to improve marketing effectiveness through better audience segmentation, marketing techniques, and processes.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in a B2B demand generation, ABM or field marketing role.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Proven track record executing innovative and multi-part event and demand generation programs.
- Attention to detail and discipline to follow established policies and processes.
- Proven track record with account-based marketing programs and large account selling teams.
- Solid experience creating and executing integrated marketing campaigns using tactics that include live events, webinars, digital advertising and social networking.
2. Senior Marketing Manager, Go-to-Market Strategy
This role will develop and execute a go-to-market strategy aligned with practice goals. You will be responsible for managing day-to-day activities associated with creating high-end thought leadership, including white papers, articles, speaking events, case studies and videos, event management and logistics for tradeshows and conferences as well as internally hosted client events, and creating messaging that highlight our differentiators and tell our story.
We are looking for someone that brings passion and new ideas to the table, understands the value of ROI and how to measure the impact of marketing, and is a strategic business partner willing to work across all levels to achieve goals. This position will work closely with members of the marketing, business development, [redacted], and leadership teams.
- Conduct market research and competitor analysis to help inform practice strategy.
- Design and execute our go-to-market strategy across all target audiences [redacted].
- Research, evaluate, and build business cases around new marketing opportunities.
- Manage marketing execution for the firm’s [redacted] practice, including thought leadership, events and tradeshows, business development support and marketing campaigns.
- Manage content creation across all categories – blogs, white papers, case studies, videos, etc. including writing content on behalf of our leaders.
- Interest and availability to attend [redacted] events.
- Assist with internal and external marketing communications.
- Partner with leadership to execute pre- and post-event outreach for events and develop targeted campaigns
- Measure, analyze, and report on ROI across marketing campaigns and initiatives.
- Manage ongoing [redacted] marketing budget
- Lead client nurturing campaigns to stay top of mind [redacted].
- Partner with leadership on marketing [redacted] assets through innovative marketing techniques and programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, marketing/advertising (or related field of study) required.
- 10 years of integrated B2B marketing experience, preferably [redacted].
- Strong writing and editing skills as well as verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite software
- Experience working under tight deadlines and a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to manage projects from conception through completion.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Very organized and ability to manage time, relationships, schedule multiple meetings, and stay on top of multiple communications.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to solve problems, and attention to detail are key.
- Client-facing experience a plus.
3. Senior Marketing Manager
We are looking for a Marketing Manager who will be responsible for developing, executing, and overseeing our overall brand and marketing strategy, including tactical implementation. This is a hands-on position that will develop with multi-channel, multi-touch, marketing programs, including email campaigns, social media, conferences and events, PR releases, website and inbound strategies.
We are searching for someone who can share our story through compelling content and drive pipeline growth. The ideal candidate thinks strategically while getting into the weeds and brings a positive energy to the team. This person should build a marketing strategy to meet our company goals while launching into execution.
- Planning, development and execution of strategic marketing initiatives to build pipeline and drive revenue for enterprise and consumer business.
- Manage digital marketing campaigns and vendors through a variety of channels, including but not limited to, web, SEO, pay-per-click, social and email.
- Develop and execute a PR and thought leadership strategy in both existing and new markets.
- Execute tactical marketing efforts that support overall strategy, such as writing, editing, building frameworks for new strategies.
- Oversee all conference/event marketing strategy and tactical implementation of pre, post, and onsite marketing involvement.
- Work with enterprise and consumer teams to segment audiences for tailored communication.
- Create, measure, track and analyze marketing campaigns to understand customer behavior and overall marketing success.
- Manage campaign budgets and vendor relationships.
- Identify and manage third-party suppliers.
- 6+ years marketing experience with emphasis on digital marketing.
- 2+ years of proven leadership experience.
- Driven and motivated to work in [redacted].
- Interest in taking bootcamp yourself to gain technical skills and better understand the [redacted] industry.
- In-depth experience in planning and executing marketing programs, including email campaigns, social media, conferences and events, PR releases, website, and inbound strategies.
- Aptitude in current digital marketing technologies and best practices in optimization for digital channels.
- Strong understanding of lead generation best practices.
- Website management experience; Webflow and HTML experience a plus.
- Experience or quick to adapt with Hubspot and Salesforce.
- Experience working under tight deadlines and in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong project management, communication, organization and collaboration skills.
- Driven and motivated to help grow a start-up in a team-centered environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing or related discipline.
- Legally eligible to work in the United States.
4. Marketing Manager, Demand Generation
We are looking for a demand gen marketer to join our team. At [redacted], we’re all about driving results and creating experiences that surprise and delight our future and existing customers. If you’re a marketer who loves demand gen funnels, understands the customer journey and uses both sides of your brain to create creative campaigns that grab people’s attention and get them to take action.
At the same time you should also enjoy digging deep into data to understand the impact of each campaign. In this role you will be measured for success based on three metrics, net new contacts added, and number of engaged existing contacts and number of meetings booked for our sales team as a result of your campaigns.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Develop compelling multi-channel marketing programs to support the demand generation needs of our sales team.
- Create and optimize Marketo nurture streams based upon areas of interest indicated by web behavior as well as where our next customers are on their customer journey.
- Develop, execute, promote and produce strong webinar campaigns that resonate with our audience and drive registrants, attendees and on-demand consumption.
- Broadcast our product team’s newest innovations to generate demand within our prospect database and within the marketing and sales market.
- Establish intimate knowledge or our database of marketing leads to uncover where opportunities for engagement exist within the database.
- Understand where marketing and sales professionals are getting their information today and build partnerships, co-marketing, and sponsorship opportunities to run campaigns that capture new leads into the database.
- Measure and analyze dashboards to understand where opportunities for further optimization and engagement exists.
What Type of Skills You’ll Need
- Solid knowledge of demand generation funnels and tactics used at each stage within the funnel.
- Experience using Marketo, Salesforce, Google Analytics a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- High energy and a positive attitude.
5. Marketing Manager, Global Campaigns
The campaigns manager is responsible for driving integrated global marketing campaigns that support the entire buyer’s journey including top of funnel, mid funnel and upsell / cross sell programs. The qualified candidate will be a driven and engaged marketer with a successful track record of developing global campaigns through an omni-channel, needs-based, and highly personalized approach. They will be highly skilled at program management and hold best-practices in campaign execution.
What We Want You to Do
- Planning with key marketing leaders across Product Marketing, Geo Mktg, Digital, Content, Design, Communications, Customer Marketing and Sales Development.
- Develop a campaign plan including goals, objectives, target audience/personas, messages, tactics, key partners, and asset requirements - across the entire buyer’s journey.
- Create and oversee the campaign calendar.
- Yearly, quarterly and periodic plan reviews and updates as needed.
- Program manages deliverables and activities for our integrated marketing campaigns.
- Drives development of key assets including whitepapers, website content, online assets, event kits, etc.
- Regularly drives meetings with virtual global key execution stakeholders across Field Marketing, Digital, Sales Development, Communications, Customer Marketing, Content and Design to ensure activities are being executed and provide updates on assets being delivered, and in planned.
- Coordination with key strategic partners for activities and content development.
Reporting and Optimization
- Establish goals and KPIs for campaigns based on historical or projected results, and tie back actual performance and revenue impact.
- Track and report out results across the entire buyer’s journey.
- Tracks DB health and growth for key personas.
- Test and optimize messaging and assets.
- Experience driving global persona campaigns that support the entire buyer’s journey – omni-channel, personalization, needs-driven.
- 3-5+ years of marketing experience at a B2B company, preferably in [redacted].
- Bachelor degree in business or related field.
- Experience supporting events, trade shows, digital / online and sales development.
- Experience working cross functionally with key groups such as product marketing, field marketing, digital marketing, communications, sales, finance, etc.
- Marketing a [redacted] product.
- Knowledge and experience marketing to [redacted] personas.
Download this remote onboarding toolkit to access actionable resources you can implement and see the impact of immediately.