Director of Sales, CPG at The Looma Project (Raleigh, NC or Remote)
Looma exists to connect shoppers to the people and stories behind food & beverage products. Our first product, Loop™, is a network of smart tablets in grocery stores that play short films focused on education and storytelling. The data generated by Loop™ fuels our proprietary film production and optimization processes, forming a flywheel we believe will one day power the world’s most sophisticated platform for human-centric point-of-decision video.
Looma's focus to date has been in adult beverage. We have strong existing programs with Harris Teeter, H-E-B, Lowes Foods, and Schnucks, and we work with most major alcohol suppliers to help tell their stories at-shelf. While our primary focus is to grow the alcohol portion of our business, we believe the broader in-store media landscape will change dramatically in the coming decade, and we need to begin moving into center store to become a key player in in-store digital media. We already have a series of pilots lined up, and this role is dedicated to (a) hitting a home run with those pilots and (b) preparing us to scale the portion of our business that will one day be much larger than adult beverage.
The responsibilities for this role can be split into three primary categories:
- Retail Sales & Program Design: 50%
- Brand Sales & Customer Success: 30%
- Team Development & Management: 20%
Retail Sales & Program Design (50%)
- Pitch new & existing retailers on non-adult beverage programs
- Work with retailers and brands to design programs that align with retailer objectives, deliver retailers with incremental media dollars, and deliver strong ROI for participating brands
- Execute pilots with a high degree of both rigor / excellence and openness to feedback, recognizing new categories / programs will likely take a few iterations to get right
- Present pilot findings and rollout plans to both retailers and brands
Brand Sales and Customer Success (30%)
- Sell campaigns to brands upon securing rollouts for new programs
- Build processes for passing the baton to account managers / customer success associates for campaign implementation
- Work with our Product team to design the brand partner journey, including sales decks, kickoff calls, content production plans, mid-campaign check-ins, and post-campaign reports
- Work with our Product team to design scalable systems for high-touch, high-volume functions like brand partner onboarding, resource management, etc.
- Work with our Data Science team to design best-in-class reporting, both during and post campaign
Team Development & Management (20%)
- Build recruiting strategy for our Center Store team (mostly focused on Brands Sales, which will be split between Sales Directors, Sales AEs, and Account Managers) — you will likely handle all Retail Sales for the first 18-24 months
- Lead Center Store team as we scale
- Warmth/magnetism: you have entrepreneurial energy that draws people in and makes them want to bet on you
- Proven salesmanship: this is a critical role for us, and we need someone with a superb track record in sales — ideally to retailers, CPG brands, or both
- Process-driven: you’re extremely organized, and you love building and managing disciplined processes
- Data-driven: you'll be competing against very sophisticated platforms for brand dollars; data competency is table stakes
- Hustle/tenacity: you love the zero-to-oneness of this opportunity, and you're going to make it happen no matter how many no's you have to power through
- Mission-aligned: you believe in the power of story to inject greater humanity & transparency into our purchasing habits
- Experience in retail media, media/advertising sales, CPG / retail sales, or startups are all bonuses, but not required
Structure & Compensation
Looma will provide a competitive compensation package consisting of base salary, commission, and stock options. All Looma compensation packages include cash/equity flexibility (i.e. you can opt for more equity and less cash or vice-versa).
- Employee coverage for health, dental, and vision (gold plan)
- Unlimited PTO (3-week minimum)
- 12-week primary caregiver leave
- Flexible office setting (office, flex, or WFH, with associated stipends)
- $100/month craftsmanship stipend
Looma’s Hiring Philosophy
Looma believes culture is one of the strongest predictors of success for a startup. Strong contributors to Looma’s culture will exhibit the following characteristics:
- Emotional Intelligence
Diversity & Nondiscrimination
Looma believes diversity is a fundamental good, and we are committed to promoting diversity both in our workplace and through the stories we tell. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status, class or caste status, or any other protected class. Our global nondiscrimination policy covers these protected classes in every market in which we do business.
CPG, Retail, Sales, Business Development, Program Design, Startup, Venture Capital, Retail Tech, Adtech, Retail Media, Consumer Goods