Business Development Manager (Historical Content Acquisition) (Remote) at Ancestry
Sorry, this job was removed at 3:37 a.m. (CST) on Tuesday, April 12, 2022
When you join Ancestry, you join a human-centered company where every person’s story is important. We believe that by discovering the struggles and triumphs of our past, we can foster deeper bonds and more meaningful connections among families and communities. Our talented team of scientists, engineers, genealogists, historians, and storytellers is dedicated to empowering customers around the world from all backgrounds on their journeys of personal discovery.
With more than 30+ billion digitized global historical records, 100+ million family trees, and 20+ million people in our growing AncestryDNA database, Ancestry helps customers discover their family story and gain a new level of understanding about their lives. Passionate about dedicating your work to enriching people’s lives? You belong at Ancestry.
Ancestry is looking for an experienced U.S.-based Business Development Manager (Content Acquisition Manager) to support Ancestry.com. You will report to the Senior Director, Global Content Acquisition (based in Utah).
This is an exciting opportunity to work for a dynamic, fast-growing and global online technology business. Working as part of the U.S. team with our government and archival partners, you will help ensure that a healthy pipeline of historical records continues to drive further discoveries for our subscribers and growth to the U.S. business.
We are looking for an experienced Business Development Manager with a love of history and a passion for sharing it with the world, to take the lead on Ancestry's historical record acquisition across the U.S..
What You Will Do:
- You will develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders at federal, state, and local archives and other institutions and organizations across the U.S. as well as local genealogy and history communities.
- You will seek out new sources of historical records and other potential content utilizing partners, referrals, internal research teams, and the Internet for research and product knowledge.
- You will partner with content researchers to provide a clear understanding of the value and impact of each new collection to Marketing, Product, and Ancestry members.
- You will negotiate agreements that provide access to digitize, and the rights to publish, content from partners that support both the needs of content owners and the business imperatives for Ancestry and its members.
- You will coordinate with digitization operations and product teams to ensure archival requirements for production and delivery of digitized materials are met.
- You will maintain a full-lifecycle view of new content collections including post-launch monitoring and evaluation to help the business maximize ROI and merchandise content.
- You will work with members of the U.S. team to ensure the integration of content in and around other business activities (Marketing, PR).
- You will help develop case studies of inspiring stories of individuals or families that emerge from new content that help customers understand the value they can derive from research.
- You will, where appropriate, act as a spokesperson for Ancestry in media articles and other PR opportunities to support the launch of new content on site.
- You will manage events budget and represent Ancestry at selected archive and genealogy events and conferences in the U.S.
- You will contribute to Social Media activities and content where relevant.
Who You Are:
- You have a Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
- You have 3+ years of relevant experience in a consultative selling, business development, or content acquisition environment essential.
- You have experience working with state or federal government entities in a contracting environment.
- You have a background in working with archives, degree in history or experience working in the media in historical programming or publishing desirable: must be interested in and comfortable with history and historical records and the archives world. Family History knowledge and experience in US records.
- You have strong commercial acumen - can understand and communicate the value of these records to Ancestry and the archive partners, and work as a team with colleagues in marketing, product and PR functions to optimize value and bring new collections to market.
- You are self-motivated, proactive, have strong analytical and communication skills, have enthusiasm about family history, are organized and are computer literate.
- You can assess the value of different records to Ancestry and the archives and work to find win-win solutions in partnership with content owners.
- You are a team player: must be ready and willing to 'step up' to varied tasks and activities that comes with working as part of a small team.
- You must be willing to travel (mostly US travel).
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
More Information on Ancestry
Ancestry operates in the Other industry. The company is located in Lehi, UT, Englewood, CO and San Francisco, CA. Ancestry was founded in 1983. It has 1725 total employees. It offers perks and benefits such as Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Disability Insurance, Dental Benefits, Vision Benefits, Health Insurance Benefits and Life Insurance. To see all 79 open jobs at Ancestry, click here.
Read Full Job Description