Senior Support Engineer at SingleStore (Remote)
Our customers are at the forefront of some of the most interesting data in the world, using SingleStore to push the boundaries every day. To do this well, they leverage the expertise of our Support Engineering Team, composed of technical subject matter experts on the frontlines of critical customer issues.
This Support Engineering role skews far more towards engineering than typical technical support as you will need to delve into database internals and memory allocators, diagnose complex SQL query behavior, and investigate Linux and Kubernetes related configurations, all in the name of resolving complex product issues. Our Support Engineers are constantly learning a wide range of customer systems and technical concepts and are thrilled by the new and exciting challenges that they encounter each day.
To accurately identify the source and solution of an issue, this team will take the time to learn about the customer’s business and systems while helping to improve their fundamental SingleStore and database operational knowledge. This often requires additional research and time spent on learning new technologies and tools outside of just the database engine while also being deeply engaged with multiple departments including development teams, query performance engineering, product management, infrastructure SREs, etc.
Role and Responsibilities
- Provide product support to our on-premise and cloud hosted enterprise customers, acting as the first-line-of-defense for complex technical issues, bug diagnosis, or resolving critical outages.
- Identify and reproduce product issues and submit formal bug reports or feature requests to the appropriate Engineering team.
- Understand and help to improve complex SQL behavior to diagnose bugs or improve performance.
- Collaborate with software developers, sales engineers, and technical account managers to keep all teams up to date with current issues a customer may be facing.
- Work to streamline and improve various Support and Engineering processes and tools, author new knowledge base articles and run-books, and help the team continually improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Participate in our on-call rotation that may include weekends and holidays.
Required Skills and Experience
- 8+ years of previous experience as a DBA or Support Engineer at a database company.
- Experience with SQL databases and advanced SQL query optimization and tuning. You should be familiar enough with at least one commercial or open source database to decipher its EXPLAIN plan and understand potential performance impact or ways to improve the query.
- Strong background in general product troubleshooting, keeping in mind that query processing issues can be impacted by database or linux configuration and resource availability.
- A solid linux performance background. That means you are hands-on with Linux and your skills include generating and reading flame graphs, checking system resource utilization, and parsing verbose log files. Bonus points for familiarity with Kubernetes.
- Experience with a scripting or coding language. Whether it’s C++, Python, Go, or Bash, you should have a go-to solution for quick problem-solving and be able to navigate through our extensive code base.
- Familiarity with distributed systems and AWS/GCP. You understand how organizations deploy and maintain distributed applications and services across multiple machines and know how to analyze these systems for performance bottlenecks.
- Experience improving support processes regarding ticket triage, escalation, and reporting business metrics back to the organization.
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills. Have the ability to explain technical concepts to a wide range of end-users.
SingleStore is one platform for all data, built so you can engage with insight in every moment. Trusted by industry leaders, SingleStore enables enterprises to adapt to change as it happens, embrace diverse data with ease, and accelerate the pace of innovation. SingleStore is venture-backed and headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Portland, Seattle, Boston, Bangalore, London, Lisbon, and Kyiv. Defining the future starts with The Database of Now™.
Consistent with our commitment to diversity & inclusion, we value individuals with the ability to work on diverse teams and with a diverse range of people.
To all recruitment agencies: SingleStore does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to SingleStore employees. SingleStore is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with the Company.