Senior Program and Operations Associate, The Roux Institute Techstars Accelerator at TechStars (Portland, ME)
Do you get excited by helping companies succeed? Do you want to dive into startup land and help a dozen startups raise millions of dollars in capital? As an Associate you will help build the next amazing batch of startups, as they grow from early stage to venture-backed companies. From entrepreneurs, to investors, to mentors, your network is about to explode. You will have the opportunity to work hand-in-hand with the Program Manager and Managing Director in planning and running the program. You will also work closely with the founders, investors and mentors in the program, helping propel companies further and faster and getting to know the best entrepreneurs and investors in the city, up close and personally. You will also have access to full involvement in Techstars social events with the founders and local community.
Compensation Range: 2,000 - 3,500 / month
(Northeastern University Co-ops may be eligible for higher compensation)
This role is a temporary, full time contract position that will be based in person in Portland, Maine from July - December. It is not a full-time role. Historically, most associates end up being employed by Techstars or one of the startup founders, mentors or investors they met during the program. Many also go on to build their own companies.
General Job Description
Along with the Program Manager, the Senior Program and Operations Associate is tasked with the success of The Roux Institute Techstars Accelerator. This opportunity affords high visibility and responsibility as you will work side by side with a prominent Managing Director and Program Manager, helping plan, organize, and successfully execute a Techstars mentorship-driven accelerator for early stage companies.
The Senior Program and Operations Associate will have autonomy and discretion over decisions that are critical to the accelerator program's success. You will not only be the right-hand person for the Program Manager, but will own entire facets of the program. This role is responsible for the planning and execution of the program from the pre-program stage and throughout the duration of the program. Project/program management experience as well as familiarity with the early stage venture backed company ecosystem is preferred. A willingness to learn and comfort tackling new problems is a must.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Engage with Techstars founders and plan activities, meetings and events that drive them toward success
- Manage relationships with mentors
- Innovate our current practices and execute upon outlined content and curriculum of the program
- Calendar management (mentors, talks, events, general programming)
- Plan various events throughout the program (Mentor Matching, Investor Preview days, Demo Day, etc) including venue reservations, catering, equipment rental
- Coordinate the scheduling of mentors, corporate partners, founders, and sponsors visits
- Follow best practices and execute upon outlined content and curriculum of the program
- Represent Techstars in local community, both actively and passively
- 2-5 years in fast-paced project or program management focused position
- Strong interest in the discourse around technology, startups, entrepreneurship, venture capital
- Proven attention to detail through prior work or life experience
- Experience in event planning and event logistics
- Comfortable with a variety of responsibilities - you will be owning investor events but also wiping down tables
- Comfortable with a minimal amount of direction but high expectations
- Fits the Techstars culture (people-oriented, adaptable, supportive, creative)
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, higher degree preferred
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Currently live in Portland, ME or would be willing to live here for the duration of the position
- Daniel Peabody-Harrington – Dan was held this position for the program in 2021. This article about the startup he is building references his experience as an associate at The Roux Institute.
- Dirk Lehmann – Techstars Associate Programme: The Better Startup MBA?
- Kelly McDonald – Learn More Faster
- Duc Luan Dam – Luan, do you ever sleep? (Being an Associate at Techstars part 1)
Techstars is the worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed. We pioneered the accelerator program model in 2006 working toward our vision of a connected global economy of innovation. Techstars founders connect with other entrepreneurs, experts, mentors, alumni, investors, community leaders, and corporations to grow their companies. As of Feb 2022 Techstars accelerator portfolio includes more than 2,700 companies with a market cap of $70 Billion. www.techstars.com
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity nor any other basis prohibited by law.