Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Coinbase is leading the expansion of digital assets into the financial mainstream. We are building a world-class Policy team to lead Coinbase’s engagement, advocacy, and outreach efforts with policymakers around the world. In this role, you will be one of the first leadership members of the Policy team, at a company where disruptive technologies and unconventional thinking are the norm. You will have an extraordinary opportunity to be on the leading edge of policy development, with an immediate and critical impact in crafting Coinbase’s international strategy.
The role is a remote position and reports directly to the Chief Policy Officer. You will lead Coinbase’s policy strategy and engagement in the EMEA region. You will work closely with the regional business leaders as well as other support functions such as Legal, Compliance, Comms to craft and manage Coinbase’s government outreach and relationship management strategy with national and local governments, relevant supervisory authorities, and industry associations.
This role’s leadership responsibilities include:
- Shaping the policy environment and narrative around crypto for the entire EMEA region, in alignment with the company’s overall policy strategy.
- Cross functional collaboration to strategically support the company’s international expansion
- Identifying and engaging on legislative, regulatory, and industry risks and opportunities that optimally position the company’s reputation with policymakers in the EMEA region.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Serve as the company’s direct prime interface for all government relationships in the EMEA region.
- Identify, monitor. and recommend proactive strategies on policy issues and advocacy objectives affecting Coinbase in the EMEA region
- Develop position papers and advocacy documents to support advocacy goals, align policy position across key functions, and ensure consistency in messaging across the company on core policy issues
- Cultivate contacts and relationships to create a strong advocacy network, with a keen understanding of the region to determine when it makes sense to outsource advocacy
- Counsel regional business leaders to understand the potential influence governments can have on current and future business success
- Supervise external policy communications in EMEA
- Develop budget and resource management plans for the EMEA policy team
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Law degree or equivalent professional qualification
- 15+ years of experience in the financial services industry managing strategic government relations outreach with a diverse set of stakeholders within policy advocacy or in a government role
- Longstanding in-depth know-how and relationships in the area of financial services and technology
- Demonstrated experience engaging and effectively interacting with the FCA, ECB, European Banking Authority, European Commission, FATF, FSB, BIS, IOSCO, Finance Ministries and other influential third-party organizations
- Experience advising Product and Engineering teams to consider and operationalize policy considerations as part of their business roadmaps
- Superlative writing and communication skills
- Enthusiasm for working on novel issues in a turbocharged environment, combined with a proclivity for proactive collaboration when problem solving
- Excellent recruitment and team-building skills
- A strong interest in digital assets, crypto markets, and blockchain technology
- High-EQ and a passion for acting like an owner
- Willingness to travel
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.