Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We help connect companies large and small with top independent talent from around the world. Simply put, our mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives.
Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled independent professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere.
Our Global Payments team is responsible for ensuring clients from anywhere in the world can pay, and freelancers located anywhere in the world can get paid. The future of work cannot happen without the ability to move money. Given our tremendous growth over the past year, we are expanding our team and are looking for a Sr. Manager / Director of our AML Compliance & Operations team to ensure that we implement the right controls and processes in place related to this money movement.
Specifically, we are seeking an action-orientated and strategic-thinker, who will be responsible for partnering with our Chief Compliance Officer to execute and implement our AML Program and Policy and to manage our day-to-day AML Operations teams.Your Responsibilities:
- Understand the changing BSA / AML regulatory landscape and identify changes to regulations and law and assess business impact, with legal partners
- Provide BSA / AML subject matter expertise and input regarding changes to business processes and changes or additions to Upwork’s products / services
- Organize and lead management of exception reporting and remediation of AML policy exceptions across Upwork
- Lead AML-related projects and initiatives across Upwork’s cross-functional groups to close policy execution gaps related to AML Program and Policy
- Manage the AML Operations teams and related processes (e.g. KYC exceptions, Enhanced Due Diligence)
- Handle escalations from the AML Operations teams and work closely with the Chief Compliance Officer to decision escalations and report appropriately
- Work closely with Data & Analytics to improve and enhance AML transactional risk models and develop any reporting requirements and dashboards
- Lead the AML portion of the Third Party Risk Management process during vetting, onboarding, and renewals of vendors
- Coordinate AML Compliance & Operations responses to various internal and external audit requests
- Develop and maintain content for key AML / KYC training courses for key audiences throughout Upwork
- Demonstrated experience in Anti-Money Laundering compliance at a financial services public company, legal or consulting firm
- Advanced understanding the Bank Secrecy Act, AML regulations, and the USA PATRIOT Act
- Experience in a supervisory or management experience
- Proven experience working with senior leaders and influencing in a matrixed environment
- Sound judgment and ability to recognize and deliver improvements to team operations
- BSA/AML compliance subject matter experience and background
- AML experience internationally
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 15 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.