Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is an electronic money institution and digital asset exchange and custodian. We built the Gemini platform so customers can buy, sell, and store digital assets (e.g., Bitcoin, Ether, and Litecoin) in a simple, secure, and safe manner.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
The Department: Legal
The Legal department at Gemini is making history every day, as we creatively apply the legacy of law to the future of digital assets. On this team, you will tackle complex and unprecedented applications of the current legal system to the revolutionary industry of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology. At Gemini, Legal plays a critical role in guiding innovation and driving value for the business, while upholding our core tenets of security, compliance, and trust for our customers. Join us and help define the Legal Department of the Future.
The Role: Corporate Counsel (Europe)
This role will support our growing business in Europe. As Corporate Counsel at Gemini, you are the ultimate general athlete. Leveraging both breadth and depth of experience at a law firm and/or as in-house counsel, you will help Gemini build a nimble, innovative legal organization tasked with tackling the complex challenges that confront a disruptive emerging asset class. By navigating unprecedented legal complexities across Business Development, Compliance, Finance and Accounting, People Operations, Product, Tax, Technology and Security, you will play a critical role in building our business at the forefront of the future of money.
- Serve as in-house counsel for all aspects of Gemini’s business in Europe.
- Provide risk-weighted legal, regulatory, and strategic advice to product, design, marketing, and technology teams during all phases of the product development lifecycle, including expansion into new jurisdictions.
- Keep abreast of relevant licencing standards and requirements for a regulated electronic money institution, and collaborate effectively with regulators.
- Draft and negotiate commercial agreements at the intersection of cryptocurrency and traditional finance in support of local business teams.
- Manage projects effectively and collaboratively with teams located in multiple jurisdictions.
- Build out the European legal function and related policies, templates, and workflows.
- Build positive and influential relationships with Gemini leadership and cross-functional partners in Europe, evangelizing the Legal team’s expertise and services across the company.
- Collaborate with and support the Chief Legal Officer and the rest of the Legal team across the globe to evaluate and communicate legal risks to internal stakeholders and external parties.
- Solicitor qualification and work authorisation in England and Wales or Ireland
- Minimum of 5 years of post-qualification legal experience at a law firm or in-house
- Fluency in English
- Familiarity with a licensed electronic money or other financial services institution in the United Kingdom or Ireland.
- Knowledge of and interest in disruptive technology, financial services, or security; prior experience working in fintech, digital assets or high-growth tech companies a plus.
- Ability to proactively, efficiently, and accurately assess legal business risks in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience supporting a globally-distributed business and legal team.
- Track record of creative problem-solving, excellent written and oral communication skills, and development of strong and trusted cross-functional relationships.
- A sense of adventure.
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive base salaries across all departments
- Participation in company profits via profit sharing units
- Amazing benefits, retirement/pension contributions, and flexible hours
- Snacks, perks, wellness outings and events
Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.