Systems Engineer at Motional
As the Systems Process & Tools Team, we are responsible for streamlining our requirements management processes and generating Systems Engineering workflows and procedures. We work across multiple teams to provide best practices and guidelines to foster standardization and consistency.
We are the global administration group for our requirements management tool and we provide training and user support across all our sites.
The Motional Pittsburgh office is located in the new Hazelwood Green development at 4734 Second Avenue, a culmination of the city’s goal of restoring an economic driver to the neighborhood in a thoughtful, inclusive, and sustainable way. With views along the Monongahela river, the Pittsburgh office is in the heart of this new state of the art development.
What You'll Be Doing
- Define, model and simulate the behavior of the robotic system
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams and stakeholders to transform desired autonomous vehicle capabilities to product design specifications. Use systematic approach to decompose vehicle level requirements to functional and performance requirements for software and hardware components, and derive technical specifications for each. Examples of components are perception, localization, automated planning, control.
- Collaborate with system architects to refine computing platform logical and physical architecture, and drive it from conceptual to production ready maturity.
- Follow the journey of hardware and software evolution to ensure that designs and implementations are correctly interpreting and realizing system requirements. Discover gaps, engage the right technical resources; lead solution developments; drive resolution.
- Define system integration requirements. Partner with systems application, rule book and test and simulation teams in the formulation of test cases that ensures verification coverage and validity for the self-driving system.
- Lead technical design analysis, reviews, trade off studies. Employ model based design and simulation to enable quantitative analysis and data driven decision making.
- Document requirements, design, analysis, and testing with clarity. Maintain traceability among them.
- Assist system integration, perform system debugging and testing during each phase of the product build. Lead issue discovery and resolution development, apply lessons learned towards the improvements and final delivery of a safe autonomous driving vehicle.
What We're Looking For
- BS in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field
- Experience in owning the technical responsibility over a system or subsystem (preferably in the software domain)
- Excellent communication skills; effective in communicating complex concepts and in driving resolutions.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Passion for robotics applications and a desire to work in a fast-paced research-powered industrial product development environment
- Curious about and comfort with cutting-edge technology and research
- Interest in formal and model-based methods for defining system behavior and architecture
- Experience in product development
Bonus Points (not required)
- MS in engineering, Computer Science or a related field
- Experience in a safety-critical product environment, or the automotive industry
- Experience with robotic systems, autonomous systems, and/or Artificial Intelligence
- Experience with software, simulation tools such as Matlab Simulink.
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.