Senior Software Engineer - Motion Planning, Trajectory Optimization at Motional
The motion planning controls team is responsible for trajectory optimization, model predictive control, and numerical optimization. As a Senior Software Engineer you'll contribute to software design, lead code reviews, and algorithm creation and implementation. Partner with motion planning research scientists to bring algorithms from concept to prototype and deployment in the real world at scale. Work in a complex and scaling system where new features are being added and evaluated rapidly.Role Responsibilities:
- Use your top-notch software development expertise to teach others better software practices and principles.
- Lead code reviews, contribute to software architecture, design, and implementation strategy.
- Develop clean software for motion controls module focused on trajectory, optimization planning, and model predictive control sitting at the core of autonomous driving systems and interfacing with other key modules such as motion planning, prediction, and drive-by-wire.
- Collaborate with motion controls researchers on cutting edge algorithms from design, prototyping, testing, deployment, to productization.
- Design and build robust and scalable codebase that enables rapid exploration and evaluation of different controls approaches and algorithms.
- Show initiative and be a valued team member in our innovative, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment where cooperative teamwork is the norm.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Robotics, or relevant field.
- 5+ years of software development experience.
- C++ (i.e. C++11, C++14, C++17) development experience in a Unix/Linux environment.
- Advanced knowledge of software engineering principles including software design, source control management, build processes, code reviews, testing methods.
- Experience working on robotics systems within Motion Planning, Motion Controls, Trajectory Optimization, or Model Predictive Control.
- Experience in safety-critical applications and hard real-time constraints.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to learn.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Flexible and creative thinking.
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.