Systems Consultant at MassMutual (St. Louis, MO)
MassMutual’s ETX Platform Transformation organization is looking for a highly motivated and experienced Technical Lead to join a new and growing team. In this role, you will be responsible for all facets of test management related to the delivery of technical migrations for a large complex strategic initiative.
The ideal Systems Consultant candidate will have experience in multiple project lifecycles: waterfall, agile or mixes. The candidate should have the ability to work with some ambiguity, is detail oriented, organized, and is excellent in the engineering practice. It is essential that you are team-oriented, possess excellent communication skills, and has previously led testers in a highly technical setting.
Execution and Delivery
- Lead the team through technical integrations, roadblocks, contributing technical development and design skills to the team. This includes ensuring that all systems impacted by a project are identified, appropriate interfaces between components, and is the liaison between project team and architecture
- Monitor mainframe application performance and issues including root cause analysis, including mainframe application and data migrated to distributed/cloud platforms.
- Support technical releases and ensure all technical documentation meets initiative objective and audit controls including technical specification, testing approach, performance, business requirements, deployment activities and post deployment warranty period
- Ability to collaborate/partner with internal business, technical stakeholders as well as vendor partner staff
- Partner with Project Managers in understanding the level of agility and adoption of delivery methodology; coaching other team members in doing so
- Support organization strategy as it relates to legacy applications migrations.
- Accountable to ensure all interfaces are included in the design.
- Accountable to the Project Manager for communicating status, issues and risks related to technical deliverables.
- Working within project planning constraints, communicating any identified project risks and issues to the project manager accordingly
- Effectively lead the team to translate and breakdown business and design requirements into engineering tasks for effective project planning.
- Drive resolution of technical issues that arise throughout project, along with appropriate risk mitigation plans.
- Provide technical expertise and leadership to design, development, implementation, testing, documentation, and operation of systems and/or applications that support Mass mutual applications/platforms & integrations.
- Help others problem solve in team to resolve complex issues
- Assist in production setup, monitoring and roll out to partners
- Focused on quality of the code and guide the team to use those principles- leveraging unit testing frameworks, reusable code design, clear documentation, pair programming, code reviews.
- Leverage unit testing frameworks, reusable code design, clear documentation, and code reviews.
- Presenting to leadership and stakeholders and supporting coordination of technical decisions.
- Collaborates with team members, architects, and other IT resources to create and execute thorough technical test strategies, detailed test plans, and scenarios in accordance with the team.
- Work with team to adhere to or adjust testing schedules and targets on the project as needed for project changes
- Ability to work with all levels and facets of an organization.
- Drives non-functional requirements (i.e: security, application controls, performance) across interfaces working with architects, designers, developers and production support specialist.
- Partner with test manager to ensure test execution plans are comprehensive and all systems dependencies are recorded as well as assigning with triage and resolution of project testing defects.
- Lead project implementation deployment which includes liaison to environment/release manager to ensure code and data migrations occur as needed, project RFCs, tracking of implementation activities, and migration tasks
- Attend technical training to acquire more knowledge of technical procedures and applications.
- Remain knowledgeable of current technology and carry out research to identify new trends that can be used to achieve maximum results
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering field
- 8 or more years of experience with designing and implementing technical solutions
- Must have experience using Cobol, CICS, DB2, VSAM and current programming languages
- Experience in structured software development and/or Object Modeling Design
- Experience in GitHub or equivalent Source Control Management
- Able to implement processes and troubleshoot to continue to improve operational stability
- Experience with generating technical documentation (ie. tech project plans
- Insurance industry experience
- DevOps experience
- Fair knowledge of AWS or other public Cloud components/services.
- Mainframe and legacy modernization experience using Micro Focus solutions is a plus.
- Comfortable working in ambiguity, capable of establishing and growing functions and teams from the ground up
- Proficient with project management tools and techniques, such as Jira, Confluence, Microsoft Project, Scrum and Kanban
- Familiarity with data and analytics processes including ETL, data governance, and reporting
- Experience working with technology vendors and managing supplier relationships
- Experience with policy administration platforms at all stages of application and product development lifecycles