They’ve made the leap. Your prospects have converted into customers and your sales team is thrilled. But...now what?
Now you need someone fluent in relationship building to foster and grow your newfound customer into a prosperous, long-term business relationship. That someone is an Account Manager.
Before you can hire your next Account Manager, you’ll need to write a stellar job description that will attract that special someone who will add to your team. We can help with that.
If you know what you're looking for, use the table of contents to jump ahead. Otherwise, keep on reading.
Table of Contents
- What Does An Account Manager Do?
- Five Account Manager Job Description Examples
- Account Manager Job Description Template
- Account Manager Salary Information
What Does An Account Manager Do?
Account Managers manage relationships with existing client accounts. They typically have a bachelor’s degree in business, communications, marketing, statistics, psychology, account management, campaign management or media planning OR the equivalent in experience.
Not to be confused with Account Executives, who are tasked with acquiring new business, Account Managers are responsible for building relationships with current clients once they have converted and throughout the customer lifecycle.
Account Managers are typically tasked with renewing customer contracts, but their responsibilities don't end there. Upselling and cross-selling are also essential to the Account Manager role, as is resolving conflict and advising clients on ways to improve their experience with the product or service.
Beyond relationship building, they interact with all internal teams that have a stake with clients, which may include Sales, Product, Engineering, Finance, Customer Success and Marketing.
In terms of career path, Account Managers may evolve into a role as a Senior Account Manager, Business Development Manager, Sales Manager, Director of Sales or VP of Sales.
Five Account Manager Job Description Examples
Alright, you’ve got the gist of what an Account Manager does and how they get the job done. Let’s check out some real examples of Account Manager job descriptions sourced from our seven online communities. Because these examples are sourced from actual companies, we have [redacted] some information to protect their privacy.
Account Manager Job Description: Example 1
We are looking for an Account Manager to join [redacted]! We are looking for a professional who can work in a fun, fast-paced, and fluid environment. Working from [redacted], you will need to bring a creative mindset, detail-oriented focus, and strategic acumen in your approach to building and growing long term business partnerships across brands and their partners.
What you’ll do:
- Build, manage, and grow relationships and spend with key clients and agency partners by helping them achieve performance that exceeds advertiser expectations
- Partner with account executives and creative strategists throughout the RFP process to develop innovative, insight-driven digital campaigns on [redacted], bringing measurable ROI for our clients
- Manage projects involving complex work streams and cross-functional collaboration (internally and externally)
- Dive deep into campaign performance data; guiding KPI-driven measurement strategies, identifying performance trends, optimizing campaigns to achieve results, and providing recommendations for upsell opportunities
- Serve as the product expert by educating [redacted] new and existing products, as well as advising on best practices and bespoke campaign optimizations
- Increase adoption and engagement of [redacted] and auction-based tools, providing ongoing technical support and real-time analysis
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, marketing, or another related area of study
- 3+ years experience in the [redacted] industry, with a focus on performance and brand marketing, ad-tech, programmatic in real-time bidding marketplaces, or a related field
- Understanding of advertising performance metrics and ecosystem
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills, as well as experience with analyzing datasets and delivering actionable insights
- Understanding of [redacted]
- Pre-existing relationships with client decision-makers and brand marketers
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams and all levels of management (internally and externally)
- Proven track record of delivering on quota and obtaining positive reviews
- Ability to manage multiple projects with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and adapt to changes
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- A passion for [redacted]
Account Manager Job Description: Example 2
We are seeking an account manager to join this team and focus on increasing [redacted] by building relationships with both current and new potential [redacted] partners.
Here’s a sample of what someone can expect to accomplish in their first year in this position:
- Drive significant participation from our [redacted] partners in new [redacted] products and programs, including [redacted]
- Build strong relationships with our [redacted] partners, becoming a trusted source of guidance on how they can best use [redacted] marketing tools to achieve their goals [redacted]
- Help the [redacted] relations team onboard new [redacted] accounts, providing product support and guidance as needed to these new partners
- Maintain high client retention and satisfaction by providing excellent support and an unwavering willingness to assist partners with any concerns
- Take ownership of scheduling, coordinating, and confirming promotional details for new [redacted] products on behalf of [redacted] partners and internal teams
- Become an indispensable member of the partners team, representing partners’ interests internally while developing excellent working relationships and building trust with coworkers and other [redacted] teams
Ideal candidates for this position will have:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Meticulous attention to detail and experience managing projects and/or schedules
- A solid understanding of [redacted] strategy and knowledge of the [redacted] industry and its key players [redacted]
- Experience developing and fostering professional relationships and providing excellent client/customer support
- An ability to think analytically and excitement for [redacted] data-driven approach to decision-making
- Direct experience working in sales or account management is a plus but not a requirement; candidates with [redacted] may have equally fitting experience for this role
Account Manager Job Description: Example 3
The [redacted] Account Manager will focus on maintaining a defined portfolio of customer accounts. Responsibilities include a regular review cadence with each customer to talk through product performance, enhancement opportunities, recommended changes to playbooks, etc. You will also be responsible for retaining and expanding existing product installations to achieve your monthly sales quota. As a seasoned sales professional, it is critical that candidates be self-motivated and completely customer-centric.
- What you'll be doing as an Account Manager on the Sales team at [redacted]:
- Connect and consult with existing customers in your portfolio on a regular cadence
- Uncover new upsell and cross-sell opportunities in a fast-paced, transactional sales environment
- Prepare and present [redacted] demos with prospects and guide them through the buying process
- Leverage sales management tools to track sales activities
- Build and manage a strong pipeline of upsell & cross-sell opportunities while maintaining an accurate forecast
- Sell to key decision makers within organizations [redacted]
- Identify customers at risk and provide the support necessary to retain and make them successful
- Work closely with your Customer Success rep to ensure all onboarding and success criteria are being met during the customer’s lifecycle
About you and what type of skills you'll need:
- 1-5 years of sales experience within a fast paced and transactional environment preferred
- The ability to demonstrate a strong aptitude for both selling and building lasting relationships with customers
- Technologically savvy and ability to learn and demonstrate new technology fast
- Proven ability to achieve and exceed quotas and goals
- The ability to work individually and collaborate within a team environment to achieve set goals
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills
- Love putting the customer at the center of your day
Account Manager Job Description: Example 4
Account managers serve as the client’s voice when developing and executing advertising campaigns through paid media and/or email. They help ensure the efforts of various team members [redacted] and components align with the client's goals. They are responsible for developing new client relationships and maintaining existing ones.
Account managers are the backbone of client relationships. They will be responsible for the day to day communication with clients as well as weekly recurring calls. They will work closely with our in-house marketing experts to ensure all work is exceptional and done within a specified timeline by effectively communicating client need and expectations.
- Report performance of all marketing campaigns, and assess against goals (ROI and KPIs)
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to present ideas with conviction
- Meet with clients and internal staff to discuss strategy and report on progress
- Ensure client requirements are met, account managers need to work closely with colleagues, including media buyers, email experts, sales and administrative staff
- Work in conjunction with the in-house marketing teams to execute deliverables at varying stages within the account timeline and budget
- Strong customer service and client management experience
Skills & Experience:
- Marketing Degree preferred
- Proficiency with numbers, budget and time management
- Ability to present ideas, negotiate and problem solve
- Exceptional project management skill and the ability to collaborate with a team
- Work with the sales team to be a liaison between the marketing department
- Prioritize and communicate marketing requests to in-house marketing team in a high-paced working environment
- Digitally-native. Up to speed with how brands leverage digital apps, products, services, social/digital marketing tools to more effectively reach, engage and serve consumers at every stage.
- Knowledge in digital paid media buys and email is a must
- Strong understanding of digital ad buys, specifically Facebook and Google Search. Bing, Yahoo, Amazon, Snapchat, Pinterest, LinkedIn are a plus.
- Strong understanding of email marketing and ESPs, specifically Mailchimp and Klaviyo
Account Manager Job Description: Example 5
[redacted] is looking to hire an Account Manager to join the [redacted] team. Reporting to the Associate Director, this position will oversee and manage the execution of advertiser campaigns on [redacted] properties and extended social platforms. The ideal candidate has experience with project management and is organized and detail oriented helping to deepen client relationships and ensuring optimal client satisfaction by flawlessly executing on all projects.
- Serve as the main point of contact across multiple digital marketing campaigns
- Manage internal and external communications, deliverables, and expectations for each assigned campaign
- Organize and lead the campaign launch process, including but not limited to:
- Internal and client/agency kick-off calls, asset collection, and trafficking coordination with AdOps
- Manage complex campaigns that include branded media, custom content, experiential and social distribution.
- Coordinate campaign deliverables including elements within design, custom written and video content and experiential
- Prepare and present scheduled campaign performance reports that include delivery, optimizations, insights, and program recommendations including mid campaign and campaign wrap ups.
- Work with Research and Insights on crafting the campaign success story including recommendations for upselling and repeat business.
- Act as the go between clients and production teams at creative (video/photo) shoots and events
- Advise the Sales & Marketing teams on internal Best Practices and processes
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree and 4+ years in Digital Media: Account/Campaign Management and/or Media Planning
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in order to comfortably communicate with internal teams & clients
- Strong Presentation skills
- Must be extremely organized and have a keen eye for details
- Experience working across multiple digital platforms (social, display, mobile, video, etc.) and varying campaign objectives (awareness, consideration, brand studies, etc.) preferred
- Strategic thinker with strong research and analytical skills and ability to apply best practice recommendations for campaign strategy and advertising/editorial placements
- Ability to work independently and effectively prioritize several projects at once
- Proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours (if necessary)
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint/Keynote
- Familiarity with Salesforce and Slack is a plus
Account Manager Job Description Template
Sure, those examples were helpful, but they weren't developed with your company in mind. That’s why we’ve created an Account Manager job description template with all the crucial must-have information and room to customize for your specific role and company. Again, it’s a template, so edit it to reflect your unique company, culture and role.
[Use this section to provide a high level overview of your company, culture, perks and benefits, career development opportunities and anything else that will get candidates excited about your company.]
- Build long-term relationships with [clients, customers, partners] from onboarding to advising them throughout their customer lifecycle.
- Coordinate with Customer Success and Marketing to ensure customers optimize [insert product or service] and appropriately debut new products as they relate to client needs.
- Analyze sales KPIs, trends, growth/lost business, upsell opportunities and provide actionable recommendations for team improvements.
- Serve as a brand ambassador for existing and new products, developing tailored sales pitches to each client.
- Maintain and grow sales by identifying new upsell and cross-sell opportunities.
- Identify at-risk clients, resolve conflicts and advise them until they find success with [insert product or service].
- Partner with [insert teams that contribute to client account] to define a strategic plan and execute high performing campaigns for clients.
- Present KPIs to key stakeholders and consistently meet deadlines, remain within budget and hit sales quotas.
- Bachelor’s degree in [insert degrees] or related field OR the equivalent in work experience.
- X years experience working in sales, account management or project management.
- Proven track record exceeding growth goals.
- Excellent multitasker with a keen attention to detail.
- Experience building long-term professional relationships.
- Strong written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Exceptional knowledge of digital platforms, including [insert relevant platforms].
- Preferred: Experience working in [insert industry].
Account Manager Salary Information
You’re almost done, we swear. Salary information, however, is essential to every job description, but knowing exactly how much both candidates and your company should expect for compensation can be complicated.
To help, we’ve sourced Account Manager salary information from seven major job markets with our local compensation analysis tool. Feel free to click on each bullet to do further research.
- Austin, TX: $70,147
- Boston, MA: $63,951
- Chicago, IL: $66,221
- Colorado: $57,622
- Los Angeles, CA: $71,098
- New York, NY: $66,688
- Seattle, WA: $57,731
Cross Market Average Salary for an Account Manager: $64,780