They’ve made the leap. Your prospects have converted into customers and your sales team is thrilled — but, now what?
Now you need someone fluent in relationship building to foster and grow your newfound customer into a prosperous, long-term business relationship. That someone is an account manager.
Before you can hire your next account manager, you’ll need to write a stellar job description that will attract that special someone who will add to your team.
Here’s what you need to know to write an account manager job description.
Table of Contents
- What Does an Account Manager Do?
- Account Manager Skills and Responsibilities
- Account Manager Salary Information
- Account Manager Job Description Template
- Account Manager Job Description Examples
What Does an Account Manager Do?
Account managers specialize in maintaining relationships with existing client accounts. They typically have a bachelor’s degree in business, communications, marketing, statistics, psychology, account management, campaign management or media planning, or the equivalent in experience.
What Is an Account Manager?
Not to be confused with account executives, who are tasked with acquiring new business, account managers are responsible for building relationships with current clients once they have converted and throughout the customer lifecycle.
Account managers are typically tasked with renewing customer contracts, but their responsibilities don’t end there. Upselling and cross-selling are also essential to the account manager role, as is resolving conflict and advising clients on ways to improve their experience with the product or service.
Beyond relationship building, they interact with all internal teams that have a stake with clients, which may include sales, product, engineering, finance, customer success and marketing.
Account Manager Skills and Responsibilities
Account managers play a versatile role and their duties require a range of skills and training. Some of the most important qualities they need include the ability to clearly communicate and quickly build relationships. Simply put, excellent people skills are a must.
Account managers must also have a clear understanding of customer needs. This can range from being available to clients when needed to make sure the products and services match the client’s goals. Part of the selling process is building an approach that recognizes the needs of each client.
Having financial literacy and knowledge is another pillar of a successful account manager. Since knowing when to upsell higher-end products and make changes to account activity are a major part of the role, recognizing business opportunities is essential.
Top Skills for Account Managers
- Skilled negotiation.
- Relationship building.
- Understanding of the business and customer needs.
Most account managers hold bachelor’s degrees, but there isn’t a prescribed field of study to prepare you for the career. Account managers may sometimes hold a degree in either marketing, statistics, linguistics or psychology. Many account managers also begin their careers in entry-level sales positions and gain on-the-job experience to become account managers.
Account Manager Salary Information
Knowing the compensation potential candidates expect is an essential part of crafting a job description. We’ve sourced account manager salary information from seven major job markets with our local compensation analysis tool.
- Austin, TX: $70,534
- Boston, MA: $83,061
- Chicago, IL: $78,172
- Colorado: $69,646
- Los Angeles, CA: $79,937
- New York, NY: $93,757
- Seattle, WA: $81,983
Account Manager Job Description Template
We’ve created an account manager job description template with all the crucial must-have information and room to customize for your specific role and company. It’s a template, so edit it to reflect your unique company, culture and role.
Use this section to provide a high-level overview of your company, culture, perks and benefits, career development opportunities and anything else that will get candidates excited about your company.
- Build long-term relationships with [clients, customers, partners] from onboarding to advising them throughout their customer lifecycle.
- Coordinate with Customer Success and Marketing to ensure customers optimize [product or service] and appropriately debut new products as they relate to client needs.
- Analyze sales KPIs, trends, growth/lost business, upsell opportunities and provide actionable recommendations for team improvements.
- Serve as a brand ambassador for existing and new products, developing tailored sales pitches to each client.
- Maintain and grow sales by identifying new upsell and cross-sell opportunities.
- Identify at-risk clients, resolve conflicts and advise them until they find success with [product or service].
- Partner with [teams that contribute to client accounts] to define a strategic plan and execute high performing campaigns for clients.
- Present KPIs to key stakeholders and consistently meet deadlines, remain within budget and hit sales quotas.
- Bachelor’s degree in [field of study] or related field OR the equivalent in work experience.
- [X] years experience working in sales, account management or project management.
- Proven track record exceeding growth goals.
- Excellent multitasker with a keen attention to detail.
- Experience building long-term professional relationships.
- Proven track record of delivering on quota and obtaining positive reviews.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and adapt to changes.
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams and all levels of management, internally and externally.
- Exceptional knowledge of digital platforms, including [relevant platforms].
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal and presentation.
- Preferred: [X] years experience working in [industry].
Account Manager Job Description Examples
Let’s check out some real examples of account manager job descriptions. Because these examples are sourced from actual companies, we have [redacted] some information to protect their privacy.
General Account Manager Job Description Example
We are looking for an Account Manager to join [redacted]! We are looking for a professional who can work in a fun, fast-paced, and fluid environment. Working from [redacted], you will need to bring a creative mindset, detail-oriented focus, and strategic acumen in your approach to building and growing long term business partnerships across brands and their partners.
What you’ll do:
- Build, manage, and grow relationships and spend with key clients and agency partners by helping them achieve performance that exceeds advertiser expectations.
- Partner with account executives and creative strategists throughout the RFP process to develop innovative, insight-driven digital campaigns on [redacted], bringing measurable ROI for our clients.
- Manage projects involving complex work streams and cross-functional collaboration (internally and externally).
- Dive deep into campaign performance data; guiding KPI-driven measurement strategies, identifying performance trends, optimizing campaigns to achieve results, and providing recommendations for upsell opportunities.
- Serve as the product expert by educating [redacted] new and existing products, as well as advising on best practices and bespoke campaign optimizations
- Increase adoption and engagement of [redacted] and auction-based tools, providing ongoing technical support and real-time analysis.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, marketing, or another related area of study.
- 3+ years experience in the [redacted] industry, with a focus on performance and brand marketing, ad-tech, programmatic in real-time bidding marketplaces, or a related field.
- Understanding of advertising performance metrics and ecosystem.
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills, as well as experience with analyzing datasets and delivering actionable insights.
- Understanding of [redacted]
- Pre-existing relationships with client decision-makers and brand marketers
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams and all levels of management (internally and externally)
- Proven track record of delivering on quota and obtaining positive reviews
- Ability to manage multiple projects with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and adapt to changes
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- A passion for [redacted]
Entry-Level Account Manager Job Description Example
We are seeking an account manager to join this team and focus on increasing [redacted] by building relationships with both current and new potential [redacted] partners.
Here’s a sample of what someone can expect to accomplish in their first year in this position:
- Drive significant participation from our [redacted] partners in new [redacted] products and programs, including [redacted].
- Build strong relationships with our [redacted] partners, becoming a trusted source of guidance on how they can best use [redacted] marketing tools to achieve their goals [redacted].
- Help the [redacted] relations team onboard new [redacted] accounts, providing product support and guidance as needed to these new partners.
- Maintain high client retention and satisfaction by providing excellent support and an unwavering willingness to assist partners with any concerns.
- Take ownership of scheduling, coordinating, and confirming promotional details for new [redacted] products on behalf of [redacted] partners and internal teams.
- Become an indispensable member of the partners team, representing partners’ interests internally while developing excellent working relationships and building trust with coworkers and other [redacted] teams.
Ideal candidates for this position will have:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail and experience managing projects and/or schedules.
- An understanding of — or desire to understand — [redacted] strategy and knowledge of the [redacted] industry and its key players.
- Experience developing and fostering professional relationships and providing excellent client/customer support.
- An ability to think analytically and excitement for [redacted] data-driven approach to decision-making.
- Direct experience working in sales or account management is a plus but not a requirement; candidates with [redacted] may have equally fitting experience for this role.
Senior Account Manager Job Description Example
[redacted] is looking to hire an Account Manager to join the [redacted] team. Reporting to the Associate Director, this position will oversee and manage the execution of advertiser campaigns on [redacted] properties and extended social platforms. The ideal candidate has experience with project management and is organized and detail oriented helping to deepen client relationships and ensuring optimal client satisfaction by flawlessly executing on all projects.
- Serve as the main point of contact across multiple digital marketing campaigns.
- Manage internal and external communications, deliverables, and expectations for each assigned campaign.
- Organize and lead the campaign launch process.
- Internal and client/agency kick-off calls, asset collection, and trafficking coordination with AdOps.
- Manage complex campaigns that include branded media, custom content, experiential and social distribution.
- Coordinate campaign deliverables including elements within design, custom written and video content and experiential.
- Prepare and present scheduled campaign performance reports that include delivery, optimizations, insights, and program recommendations including mid campaign and campaign wrap ups.
- Work with Research and Insights on crafting the campaign success story including recommendations for upselling and repeat business.
- Act as the go between clients and production teams at creative (video/photo) shoots and events.
- Advise the Sales & Marketing teams on internal Best Practices and processes.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree and 4+ years in Digital Media: Account/Campaign Management and/or Media Planning.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in order to comfortably communicate with internal teams & clients.
- Strong Presentation skills.
- Must be extremely organized and have a keen eye for details.
- Experience working across multiple digital platforms (social, display, mobile, video, etc.) and varying campaign objectives (awareness, consideration, brand studies, etc.) preferred.
- Strategic thinker with strong research and analytical skills and ability to apply best practice recommendations for campaign strategy and advertising/editorial placements.
- Ability to work independently and effectively prioritize several projects at once.
- Proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours (if necessary).
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint/Keynote.
- Familiarity with Salesforce and Slack is a plus.