Staff Systems Engineer
At ServiceNow, our technology makes the world work for everyone, and our people make it possible. We move fast because the world can't wait, and we innovate in ways no one else can for our customers and communities. By joining ServiceNow, you are part of an ambitious team of change makers who have a restless curiosity and a drive for ingenuity. We know that your best work happens when you live your best life and share your unique talents, so we do everything we can to make that possible. We dream big together, supporting each other to make our individual and collective dreams come true. The future is ours, and it starts with you.
With more than 7,700+ customers, we serve approximately 85% of the Fortune 500®, and we're proud to be one of FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For® and World's Most Admired Companies™.
Learn more on Life at Now blog and hear from our employees about their experiences working at ServiceNow.
Unsure if you meet all the qualifications of a job description but are deeply excited about the role? We still encourage you to apply! At ServiceNow, we are committed to creating an inclusive environment where all voices are heard, valued, and respected. We welcome all candidates, including individuals from non-traditional, varied backgrounds, that might not come from a typical path connected to this role. We believe skills and experience are transferrable, and the desire to dream big makes for great candidates.
The Mail and Messaging Systems Engineering team at ServiceNow is looking for help to architect and build the server infrastructure and core services that allow our SaaS platform to run at scale and with high availability. We're looking for a skilled systems developer who can help craft the technology and processes needed to sustain ServiceNow's growth while gaining valuable experience in modern systems and software development.
We design the systems to deliver data for our customers on a massive scale - hundreds of millions of notifications and data integration transactions, every day.
What you get to do in this role:
- Manage large scale, global infrastructure with code; write and maintain software-defined declarative infrastructure, at scale.
- Help develop systems, cloud infrastructure services, and automation tools that are thoroughly specified, documented, and testable.
- Build orchestration workflows by leveraging features of the ServiceNow platform.
- Research and implement new open-source and commercial tools, technologies and methodologies.
- Provide technical leadership as we create new services and ways of working.
- Collaborate with peer teams who have built world class networking and orchestration solutions
- Use Puppet, Ansible and similar systems for automated configuration management.
- Use Kubernetes to create even larger-scale core services.
- Write test plans and test automation for declarative infrastructure.
To be successful in this role you have:
- 6+ years of related experience.
- Experience in system admin on Linux servers
- Experience in automation frameworks (bash, python, ansible, Terraform or similar)
- Experience with Internet Mail or event streaming systems such as RabbitMQ, Kafka or similar.
- A working understanding of related infrastructure concepts such as IP networking, virtualization, block and file storage, load-balancers, etc.
- A focus on constant learning and improving technical and personal skillsets
- A drive and a passion to figure things out. You will have documentation and many peers to turn to for help, but your work will touch many interconnected systems and technologies - too many to rely solely on the knowledge of others. To succeed you will need to investigate and discover on your own.
- A strong ability to design, write and debug code. You should also have experience writing test specifications and understand the fundamentals of test automation.
- A working understanding of related internet protocols such as TCP/IP, DNS, LDAP, NTP, SMTP, HTTP, etc.
- Integrity, honesty, and will embrace ServiceNow's values
For positions in California (outside of the Bay Area), we offer a base pay of $136,800 - $239,400, plus equity (when applicable), variable/incentive compensation and benefits. Sales positions generally offer a competitive On Target Earnings (OTE) incentive compensation structure. Please note that the base pay shown is a guideline, and individual total compensation will vary based on factors such as qualifications, skill level, competencies and work location. We also offer health plans, including flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) Plan with company match, ESPP, matching donations, a flexible time away plan and family leave programs (subject to eligibility requirements). Compensation is based on the geographic location in which the role is located, and is subject to change based on work location. For individuals who will be working in the Bay Area, there is a pay enhancement for positions located in that geographical area; please contact your recruiter for additional information.
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or nationality, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status or any other category protected by law.
At ServiceNow, we lead with flexibility and trust in our distributed world of work. Click here to learn about our work personas: flexible, remote and required-in-office.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at [email protected] for assistance.
For positions requiring access to technical data subject to export control regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR), ServiceNow may have to obtain export licensing approval from the U.S. Government for certain individuals. All employment is contingent upon ServiceNow obtaining any export license or other approval that may be required by the U.S. Government.
Please Note: Fraudulent job postings/job scams are increasingly common. Click here to learn what to watch out for and how to protect yourself. All genuine ServiceNow job postings can be found through the ServiceNow Careers site .
From Fortune. © 2022 Fortune Media IP Limited All rights reserved. Used under license.
Fortune and Fortune Media IP Limited are not affiliated with, and do not endorse products or services of, ServiceNow.