Director, Strategic Partnerships at M1 (Chicago, IL)
Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our competitors.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $6 billion of assets, we’re currently helping hundreds of thousands of people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, read on!
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for an experienced business development leader to develop and own the partnerships function at M1. You’ll partner with GMs in each of M1’s core business lines to define strategic objectives and build an impactful partner ecosystem that aligns with the strategy and enhances the overall M1 value prop. Your purview will span the entire company, but a key area of focus will be developing brand partnerships with a broad spectrum of consumer brands in connection with the M1 credit card and M1 Plus membership program. This critical role will be M1’s first business development lead and offers an incredible opportunity to build and lead the partnerships function at a fast-growing, well-funded, and high-profile fintech startup.
What you’ll do
- Create strategic partnership plans for the attainment of goals set by GMs and senior leadership
- Build relationships with senior counterparts at a wide variety of companies ranging from large public brands to small startups
- Drive partner prospecting and effectively communicate a mutually beneficial partnership vision
- Work closely with M1 legal & compliance teams on term sheet negotiations and contracting
- Work closely with M1 product, engineering, operations, & marketing teams to drive partnerships to successful implementation and act as primary business lead on the partner relationship after launch
- Review the financial impact of partnerships and recommend optimizations to maximize the impact
- Maintain a deep knowledge of markets, industry, and trends
- At least 5 years in a business development function for a technology or financial services company
- Experience forming relationships with large corporate partners
- Skilled negotiator with experience driving complex deals
- Ability and willingness to operate independently
- Proven ability to be effective working in a less structured, fast-moving startup environment
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Competitive Pay and Stock Options
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- Unlimited PTO
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication with leadership
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym