Zayo provides mission-critical bandwidth to the world's most impactful companies, fueling the innovations that are transforming our society. Zayo's 133,000-mile network in North America and Europe includes extensive metro connectivity to thousands of buildings and data centers. Zayo's communications infrastructure solutions include dark fiber, private data networks, wavelengths, Ethernet, and dedicated Internet access. Zayo serves wireless and wireline carriers, media, tech, content, finance, healthcare and other large enterprises.
The Project Manager, Long Haul Implementation (Southwest Region) is a critical member of the project team responsible for the development, planning, engineering, construction and delivery of new and overbuild long haul routes in the southwestern US. The Project Manager utilizes tight project controls and proactive problem solving to anticipate and mitigate issues and keep projects on time and on budget. The Project Manager maintains transparent and effective communications with stakeholders. The Project Manager reports directly to the Director, Long Haul Implementation (Southwest Region).
- Assess and validate requirements (routing, fiber counts, hut spacing, etc.) for new route planning to ensure route objectives are clearly defined and meet stakeholder requirements.
- Complete route feasibility planning to appropriately estimate and de-risk project scope, schedule and budget.
- Manage budgets and accurate spend forecasts throughout project execution. Proactively mitigate risks to stay within budget constraints.
- Maintain the project milestone-level project schedule throughout the course of the project.
- Proactively identify and mitigate project risks and develop contingency plans.
- Manage complex regulatory/permitting issues such as NEPA, Section 106, Tribal, etc.
- Plan and manage project major materials including planning, ordering, receiving and dispersal.
- Evaluate field resources and production rates. Develop recovery or expedite plans as needed.
- Support in the development of RFPs for the engineering and construction of the route. Diligently manage the contract terms throughout the life of each contract.
- Provide project-level and executive project reporting including regular updates to our key customers.
- Ensure routes are delivered on time, on budget and as per construction standards.
- Deliver project as-builts to the support teams in a timely manner to ensure route is protected and properly captured in inventory systems.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the OSP teams within the regions to ensure alignment between long haul projects and local objectives.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred, preferably in Engineering or other related technical field, or equivalent work experience. Business degree/acumen a plus.
- Minimum of 7 years in the telecommunications industry with outside plant, fiber optics, telecommunication architectures, optical transport equipment, and project management experience.
- Minimum of 7 years OSP project management and construction management experience, preferably with specific long haul or other large project construction experience.
- Familiarity with all types of outside plant construction methods and best practices.
- Working knowledge of OSP construction standards, fiber specifications and optical network design principles.
- Ability to read and interpret construction documents.
- Working knowledge of fiber test and acceptance criteria and practices a plus. Ability to read and interpret fiber optic test results a plus (EXFO Fastreporter).
- Familiar with all facets of OSP project management including quoting, construction and delivery.
- Experience managing large capital projects including writing purchase requisitions and receiving/reconciling invoices.
- Experience with complex permitting situations including NEPA, Section 106, Tribal, etc. a plus.
- Experience with NTIA (or similar) program requirements such as Davis-Bacon, BABA and EA a plus
- Ability to effectively communicate with municipalities and vendors to coordinate project scope, schedule work activities and overcome project obstacles.
- Demonstrated exceptional problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate technical topics clearly and effectively with both internal and external customers.
- Business minded and able to maintain a commercial focus.
- Proficient with Email, MS Excel, Word and Google Earth. Experience with AutoCAD a plus
- This position will require travel as necessary to support the projects assigned (10-20% estimated).
- Approved to work in the United States.
Base pay range: $66,500 - $99,750, commensurate with experience
Benefits, Rewards & Wellness
- Excellent Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Retirement 401(k) Savings Plan
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, provincial or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.