We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase Cloud is the leading blockchain infrastructure provider.
We believe in the power of blockchain technology and building a decentralized future that enables greater participation in global financial networks. Our mission is to provide superior infrastructure on multiple blockchains, to strengthen the entire ecosystem, and enable the pioneers of tomorrow.
We are looking for an exceptional Protocol Specialist to join our highly-skilled and passionate Protocol Operations (Pops) team. This is one of those roles that’s not right for most people, and is hard to hire for, but for the folks where it’s truly a fit, this is the most incredible, fun, and rewarding job in the world.
To be successful in this role, you need to love crypto and be deeply curious about its inner workings. You will live in the humble, uncomfortable space of not knowing enough and not having the answers… and having to go learn. It’s a deeply technical role (although none of us are engineers) but also one that is highly interpersonal as you’ll be a focal point of protocol insights, relationships, and community.
By design, everyone on our team has a lot of unstructured time. About half of the time should be taken up by things we have to do, but the other half is for pushing the needle forward - identifying new protocols to support, discovering business models or opportunities, conducting research, writing newsletters, making our team more crypto-native, digging into data, and so on.
- 2+ years of blockchain experience
- 5+ years of work experience
- Previously worked closely with layer 1 and layer 2 protocols (building, investing, researching)
- Has published research, analyses, articles, or blogs on blockchain projects or protocols
- Active community member in the blockchain ecosystem or a current open source code contributor
- Track record of strong relationship building & community development
Nice To Have
- Background in economics, engineering, or computer science
- Experience on high performing teams, bonus points if within crypto
- Experience working with, and deriving insights from, on-chain data
The Pops team is the owner and source for all information related to the protocols we support or are looking at supporting. Pops is focused on ensuring that our cross-functional team is well informed on the important static details, updates, and development around each protocol. We empower the rest of the organization to excel in their roles by leveraging the deep protocol knowledge and insights Pops creates. The product team should be able to use information and insights owned by Pops to build better product experiences, the Sales team should be able to use insights to drive strategic sales initiatives, and the Customer Success team should be able to create timely proactive comms for our customers. We are the point guards that set others up for success.
As a Protocol Specialist, you will:
- Research and evaluate new protocols, and make recommendations for their prioritization at Coinbase Cloud
- Obtain wide and deep technical expertise in existing and up-and-coming protocols
- Establish and continuously develop extremely close relationships with protocol teams
- Be the boots on the ground at events, talks, and conferences
- Leverage deep expertise and protocol relationships to create insightful opinions and move the ecosystem forward
- Write and publish content across a variety of relevant topics, including protocol insights, blockchain infrastructure, economic analyses, crypto economic design, and many more.
- Draft and improve our internal documentation on the protocols Coinbase Cloud supports
- Drive product strategy on crypto-native initiatives
- Lead impactful governance proposals across a wide variety of protocols
- Identify and help execute on grants and unique revenue opportunities made possible on protocols
Notice for Colorado applicants as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20). Target annual salary for this role performed in Colorado, is $127,075 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k).
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.