Medical Assistant at Cityblock Health
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About The Role:
In this role, you will provide direct services to members, who face economic and social challenges in addition to having mental and physical health needs, through our innovative care model. It is integral to our care model that we meet people where they are, both physically and emotionally. You will be part of our first clinical “hub,” a primary care practice that in many respects will look more like a community center than a doctor’s office. Additionally, you may be required to provide care in member’s home and community, extending out in the surrounding neighborhood and community. You will be part of an interdisciplinary care team, focusing on clinical visits taking place in our clinical hub and in the community.
This position will report to the Operations Manager and is a key member of the Cityblock care team and plays an integral role in defining and delivering a state-of-the-art experience to Cityblock members.
Requirements for the Role:
- You have 3+ years of experience working in a clinical operations setting
- You are minimally certified as a medical assistant
- You are certified in phlebotomy
- Willingness to travel and conduct home based visits
- You enjoy working as part of a team and enjoy being a team player who jumps in wherever necessary
- You are eager to be part of an interdisciplinary team, including physicians, nurses, social workers, community health partners. You are knowledgeable of examination, diagnostic and treatment room procedures
- You have an awareness of common safety hazards and precautions
- You are comfortable working with new computer applications aimed at providing an innovative experience for our members and our care teams
- You have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with members and other care team members
- You have excellent communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact with all members of the care team, and with members of the public
- You are comfortable using a variety of computer systems, and have familiarity with electronic health record systems
- You are compassionate, open-minded, and non-judgmental
- You have the ability to think quickly and solve problems in the moment
How We Define Success:
- Welcome members to the hub, directing and/or escorting members to their destination, communicate their arrival to other members of the team, and check in with members before they leave to assess overall experience
- Work directly with Community Health Partners, providers, and other care team members in the hub, to coordinate clinical and community resources for home-based, community-based, or telehealth primary care visit
- Prepare daily reports and prep for visits by reviewing medical, social, behavioral health, and prescription history in our care facilitation system, Commons; update current medications and care gaps with other care team members in the chart
- Participate in daily huddle, highlighting high-risk members using information from Commons as well as the EHR and assist in closing care gaps as needed
- Prepare examination room for member visits, keeping them neat, clean, and well stocked
- Prepare equipment used for testing during visit, including ECG; perform daily testing of equipment, and assist the Hub Operations Manager in facilitating required maintenance
- Interview members at the start of the appointment and record medical history in chart
- Obtain and record vital signs, height, and weight for members
- Collect and prepare specimens for laboratory testing
- Assist the primary care provider during the exam at the Hub and in the field
- Coordinate follow-up care, including diagnostic tests, specialty care, and other treatment
- Track, log, and support re-ordering of medical supplies, vaccines, etc
- Support efforts around quality gap closures and prevention opportunities for our members (colonoscopies, mammographies, etc) in the hub and in the field.
- Under the direction of the Operations Manager, check real-time member experience feedback and assist in resolving operational issues
- Receive incoming phone calls/messages, complete requests for appointments, assist with administrative forms, and direct any requests for medication refills to the practice nurse
- Facilitate external appointments with specialty providers, including submission of referral requests
- Organize and distribute incoming communications to the hub, including mail and faxes.
- Assist the Operations Manager with fulfilling daily tasks and functions of the Hub, as needed.
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- Experience working collaboratively with an interdisciplinary care team
- Experience in a primary care setting
- Multi-lingual preferred
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.
Covid 19 Update - Please Read: