Manager, Vehicle Controls
Job Number: 42503
Group: Magna Corporate
Division: Magna Design and Engineering (USA)
Job Type: Permanent/Regular
At Magna, we create technology that disrupts the industry and solves big problems for consumers, our customers, and the world around us. We're the only mobility technology company and supplier with complete expertise across the entire vehicle.
We are committed to quality and continuous improvement because our products impact millions of people every day. But we're more than what we make. We are a group of entrepreneurial-minded people whose collective expertise gives us a competitive advantage. World Class Manufacturing is a journey and it's our talented people who lead us on this journey.
Magna R&D is seeking a highly motivated Manager - Vehicle Controls to join the Advanced Product Development group in Troy, Michigan. Must be a passionate all-rounder equally capable of developing and integrating new embedded controls solutions, providing support to existing programs, to being hands-on to investigate and resolve start-up and continuing performance issues on conventional, new mobility or non-mobile platforms.
The ideal candidate will be comfortable working with minimal supervision in a fast-paced, agile R&D engineering development environment where they will be able to exercise freedom to innovate and explore new methods and solutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage a team of vehicle controls engineers in the development of vehicle control systems for non-traditional automotive applications.
- Bring together multiple vehicle E/E domains involving electrification, new mobility and autonomy to help create overall vehicle controls architecture
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary engineering teams to create / interpret vehicle and/or system level requirements and to translate them into scalable rapid prototyped controls systems for a wide variety of Magna R&D projects.
- Integrate new algorithms into an existing software structures to add additional features or resolve functional and/or performance issues;
- Ability to create and maintain CAN, LIN, ethernet databases.
- Support selection of suitable sensors and actuators. Create mechanization drawings and device transmittals as necessary.
- Test and debug software solutions in offline environments (SIL, PIL, HIL, etc.). Deploy on target controller and verify desired performance.
- Develop and deploy test methods to validate systems against requirements and performance goals; document and provide feedback to engineering teams.
- Software fault finding and debugging.
- Data acquisition; capture/log data for problem investigation, including presenting annotated data to engineering and management teams.
- Document work and create calibration guides as necessary.
- Maintain software version control during all stages of software development.
- Perform other duties, support special projects and tasks as assigned.
- Must work in an organized and orderly fashion, following modelling guidelines and/or industry best practices; be responsible for own work area, maintenance of tool-chain and equipment.
- Fabricate new or modify existing wiring harnesses to repair or add new system features.
- Ground up controls architecture design and development high desirable.
Education / Experience
- BS/MS in Electrical / Mechanical Engineering/Computer Science
- Minimum of 7 years in Automotive OEM or Tier 1 environment
Special Knowledge / Skills
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects; requires good time management and organizational skills to meet stringent deadlines, often with late requirements or timing changes.
- Experience in function development - base knowledge of automotive software development practices.
- EE system, vehicle and/or system wiring including best practices.
- Deep experience of Model Based Design (MBD); Matlab, Simulink, Stateflow, dSpace TargetLink and RT environments with associated tool chains.
- Experience of developing systems with functional safety processes/considerations.
- Building, compiling, and flashing software to controllers.
- Experience of CAN, CANFD, Ethernet, LIN and other communication protocols.
- Experience of vehicle network simulation and analysis.
- Experience of Vector tools including CANalyzer, CANape, CANdb++.
- Software programming in C/C++.
- Experience of systems engineering principles to define and develop functional vehicle controls systems in the areas of powertrain, electrification / energy storage systems, body, chassis, HMI, connectivity, advance driver assistance systems, autonomy etc.)
- Knowledge of with ADAS/AD features, including sensors (cameras, LIDAR, RADAR), sensor fusion, path planning
- Knowledge of vehicle connectivity/telematics including communication protocols.
- Knowledge of vehicle high voltage (HV) systems including safety and awareness.
- Highly proficient with MS Office based productivity tools incl. Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Visio, etc.
Awareness. Unity. Empowerment.
At Magna, we believe a diverse workforce is critical to our success. That's why we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We hire on the basis of experience and qualifications, and in consideration of job requirements, regardless of, in particular, color, ancestry, religion, gender, origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or gender identity. Magna takes the privacy of your personal information seriously. We discourage you from sending applications via email to comply with GDPR requirements and your local Data Privacy Law.
Nearest Major Market: Troy
Nearest Secondary Market: Detroit