Laboratory Director at VillageMD
Why Village Medical?
At Village Medical, we're looking for a Laboratory Director to help us transform the way primary care is delivered and how patients are served. As a national leader on the forefront of healthcare, we've partnered with many of today's best primary care physicians. We're equipping them with the latest digital tools. Empowering them with proven strategies and support. Inspiring them with better practices and consistent results.
We're creating care that's more accessible. Effective. Efficient. With solutions that are value-based, physician-driven and patient-centered. To accomplish this, we're looking for individuals who share our sense of excellence, are ready to embrace change, and never settle for the status quo. Individuals who have the confidence to lead but the humility to never stop learning.
Could this be you?
The Laboratory Director plans, organizes and directs the overall operation of the Laboratory Department and ensures that services are of the best quality, are cost contained and are carried out in an expeditious manner. The role is also responsible for test menu determination and all financial considerations. The Laboratory Director initiates improved methods of service and directs their implementation, collaborating across departments to support patient care and drive performance improvement activities. The Laboratory Director also fulfills the role of Technical Consultant for the Houston laboratory and may also serve in this capacity to other area laboratories and Point of Care activities of the various physician locations. Directly oversees the Laboratory Supervisor who will supervise the techs and processing staff.
How you can make a difference
- Assuring competency of all personnel and maintaining sufficient staff levels of appropriately educated, experienced, and/or trained personnel performing tests and reporting test results.
- Ensuring that testing systems in the laboratory provide quality services in all aspects of test performance, i.e., the pre analytic, analytic, and post analytic phases of testing and are appropriate for the Village Medical patient populations.
- Maintaining physical and environmental conditions of the laboratory so they are adequate and appropriate for the testing performed; keeping the laboratory environment free from physical, chemical, and biological hazards for employees.
- Formulating departmental budget, maintaining performance improvement activities and participating in CQI activities to maintain departmental operations in compliance with all state, federal, and local regulatory laws, standards, and protocols.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements including CLIA and COLA.
- Maintaining all electronic systems relating to the laboratory including interfaces, EMR, and LIS systems.
- Ensure the establishment and maintenance of acceptable levels of analytical performance for each test system.
- Ensure verification procedures used are adequate to determine accuracy, precision, linearity, and any other pertinent performance characteristics of the testing method.
- Ensure that an approved procedure manual is available to all personnel.
- Ensure that the laboratory is enrolled in an approved Proficiency Testing (PT) program and PT samples are tested in the same manner as patients are tested.
- Accessible to the laboratory to provide onsite, telephone, or electronic consultation as needed.
Skills for success
- Self-motivated: energetic, self-starter; can work autonomously with limited direction.
- Results oriented: bias for action; demonstrated track record of achievement; drive for attainment of superior outcomes.
- Flexible: ably navigates within ambiguity; solution-oriented.
- Communication: conveys thoughts and expresses ideas effectively both verbally and in writing; strong presentation skills.
- Collaboration: orientation to team-based work product and results.
- Service: Actively supports others, demonstrates an optimistic, can-do approach to issue resolution.
- Humility: low ego; engenders trust; respectful.
Experience to drive change
- Bachelor’s in Medical Technology or Chemical, Physical, or Biological Science.
- Graduated from a NCCLS Accredited Medical Technology (MT) or Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) Program.
- Certified as a MT or MLS by American Society of Clinical Pathologist (ASCP) or equivalent (AMT, AAB).
- 5 years laboratory experience.
- 3 years laboratory supervisory experience.
- Master’s degree in Laboratory Science, Healthcare Administration, or Business Administration preferred.
- Meet CLIA and COLA requirements for Moderate Complex Laboratory Director and Technical Consultant.
- Knowledge of clinical laboratory services and ability to handle difficult situations involving patients, physicians, and others in a professional manner.
How you will thrive
In addition to competitive salaries, a 401k program with company match, bonus and a valuable health benefits package, Village Medical offers paid parental leave, pre-tax savings on commuter expenses, and generous paid time off. You work in a highly-collaborative, conscientious, forward-thinking environment that welcomes your experience and enables you to make a significant impact from Day 1.
Most importantly, you make a difference. You see a clear connection between your daily work on Village Medical products and services and the advancement of innovative solutions and improved quality of healthcare for providers and patients.
Our unique Village Medical culture – how inclusion and diversity make the difference
At Village Medical, we see diversity and inclusion as a source of strength in transforming healthcare. We believe building trust and innovation are best achieved through diverse perspectives. To us, acceptance and respect are rooted in an understanding that people do not experience things in the same way, including our healthcare system. Individuals seeking employment at Village Medical are considered without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Those seeking employment at Village Medical are considered without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
Explore your future with Village Medical today.