Fraud Manager at Affirm
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
We believe the financial industry is fundamentally broken. Not only is the core infrastructure built with technology from the 1970s, but there are a dwindling number of people who say "I trust my bank to look out for me". It doesn’t have to be this way, and it’s our mission to fix this problem.
We are based in San Francisco; founded by Max Levchin (founding CTO of PayPal), Jeff Kaditz (CDO DeNA/ngmoco), and Nathan Gettings (founding CTO of Palantir); and building a team of exceptionally talented people to join us on our mission.
As a company that provides consumer financial products, we work diligently to detect and prevent fraud. As a Manager, on International Risk Operations (Fraud) you will have a significant leadership role, being responsible for the next phase of Affirm’s international growth and expansion. This position will report to the Senior Manager of International Risk Operations.
The Manager role, within International Risk Operations (Fraud) will head international expansion and lead a team of international fraud fighters, informing and operationalizing fraud strategies, partnering across the company to build out fraud capabilities on a global scale, and owning the team in day to day operational execution. The leader will be responsible for working cross functionally for mitigating fraud loss, efficiently scaling the fraud operations team, prioritizing customer outcomes, and improving tooling and reporting, while ensuring that Affirm’s brand and values are represented.
What You'll Do:
- Develop short and long term strategies for international fraud operations function to support the consistent and effective identification, assessment, and mitigation of fraud and AML risk (when applicable).
- Drive a roadmap of initiatives aligned to business and company goals and objectives. This includes demonstrating a data-backed approach in decision-making and handling fraud risk while championing a culture of process excellence and focused utilization of key performance indicators and key risk indicators for continuous improvement of the anti-fraud practices.
- Managing direct reports on fraud best practices and career development; researching and resolving risk events stemming from process breakdowns
- Oversight into the International day to day fraud monitoring, reporting and insight generation and managing to our quality standards as well as our critical metrics
- Partners with all business stakeholders, internal and external, to build and operationalize fraud tooling, investigation, recoveries and disputes processes on a global platform
- Drive employee engagement and a high-performance culture within the team, ensuring effective performance management, mentoring, and development of the team, all while crafting an environment where people can excel through accountability, support, and empowerment
- Assist and develop Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) and performance indicators against company goals for International Risk Operations
What We Look For:
- 5+ years experience in a role in Fraud, Financial Services risk management, or Operations
- 3+ years of people management/leadership experience
- A strong team leader with a focus on employee engagement and empowerment
- Proven experience driving robust outcomes in fraud operational performance through strategy evolution, technology, and data driven insights
- Self-starter with solid sense of urgency and accountability and excellent focus on attention to detail with the capability to work and make decisions in a constantly evolving environment
- Results driven, forward thinking approach with ability to problem-solve complex issues to drive shared goals and outcomes across internal and external teams
- Able to develop and effectively articulate a vision & strategy as well as communicate strategic direction
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to develop strong relationships across the organization
- Ability to structure unstructured problems with a proven ability to “find a way”
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High level of organization and excellent attention to detail
- Strong, adaptable and flexible team player
- Strong knowledge of market trends related to fraud mitigation procedures, policies and specific technologies
Location - Remote U.S.
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.