HR Generalist - G&A at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We help connect companies large and small with top independent talent from around the world. Simply put, our mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives.
Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled independent professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere.
As an HR Generalist supporting G&A (HR, Finance, and Legal) at Upwork, you will help build an inclusive and engaging culture that drives business results by delivering measurable and sustained value-added solutions. As a consultative and trusted advisor to all levels of our employee base, you will be a point of contact on a variety of day-to-day HR matters alongside the HRBP team. You’ll also be a significant contributor to iterating on HR programs and other key HR initiatives
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of our HRBP team and work closely with all of our HR Generalists, HRBPs, and a variety of other teams as we continue on our transformative journey to elevate, scale, and future-proof our G&A organizations. You’ll enjoy a front row seat to opportunities that build on your skills, make a meaningful impact, and give you exposure into many facets of HR. And, this will include the unique experience of helping elevate your own department.Your Responsibilities:
- Support and contribute to the ongoing development HR programs and processes to deliver a great employee experience. This would include programs and processes such as workforce organizational planning, review cycle, engagement, learning and development, total rewards programs, policy changes, relocation requests, HR process improvements, exits, etc.
- Partner with HRBPs to support the unique HR strategies for assigned client groups. May include compiling data and analyzing for initial insights, collaborating with cross-functional partners, drafting communications, creating manager and employee-facing resources, process mapping, etc.
- Partner with the HRIS team in process improvements and ensuring data accuracy.
- Handle employment-related inquiries from employees and supervisors; refer complex and/or sensitive matters to the appropriate HRBP.
- Be an impartial steward for the organization, advocating for employees and the business, and modeling our value.
- Strong communication and influencing skills; effective listener possessing the ability to connect and influence actions and outcomes with employees at all levels in the organization
- HR experience: you have some knowledge of HR laws, strategies, policies, and practices; you're eager to try new and creative approaches
- A forward-thinking approach coupled with a keen sense of organization
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills; ability to analyze data, understand trends, and develop recommendations for action based on the analysis
- A consistent track record of support, program & project management, and business partnership within a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- A combination of experience in at least 3 of the following areas: organizational design, org planning, performance management, business advising, compensation and rewards, talent acquisition, leaves of absence and ADA, onboarding, recognition programs, payroll, learning & development, facilities, ERGs, diversity, culture carrier, employee engagement, conflict resolution, data analysis, policy changes, systems (HR or ERP), and employee relations.
- Experience interfacing with HR. Maybe you’ve worked in recruiting, compensation, people operations, facilities, or something else!
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 15 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.