The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
The Accounting Manager is a highly visible member of the Finance department reporting to the Controller. As Kin’s Accounting Manager you will help build financial processes and controls that will help Kin scale for growth and be a key team member on our General Ledger implementation project. As Accounting Manager you will also have the opportunity to lead and mentor a great team and ensure we deliver timely accurate financial statements. The ideal candidate will have excellent GAAP technical accounting knowledge, month-end close management experience, and a passion for insurtech
A day in the life could include:
- Manage month-end Accounting financial close process, including review of journal entries, account reconciliations, and monthly exhibits
- Perform monthly balance sheet and income statement flux analysis, providing insightful commentary explaining variances to senior leadership
- Lead the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements
- Implement internal controls and effective financial processes over key business cycles
- Ability to influence cross-functionally and help drive continuous process improvement initiatives
- Work with broader Accounting team to develop and implement processes to operationalize the effects of new technical accounting standards
- Support financial statement audit activities
- Critical team member on general ledger system implementation project
- Lead, mentor, and develop staff
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 7 - 10 years of accounting experience
- Accounting degree required
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and be adaptable to changing responsibilities and priorities
- People management experience
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to manage multiple workstreams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong systems knowledge, familiar with ERP systems such as Xero, Netsuite, etc.
- Advanced knowledge of Google Suite and Microsoft Excel
- Public accounting experience
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (including 100% employer-paid plans)
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.