Software Engineering Lead - Full Stack Applications at Zipline
Do you want to change the world? Zipline uses drones to deliver critical and lifesaving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people.About You and The Role
Zipline is leading a revolution-- the flight side of our business designs and manufacturers the world's only commercially operating drone fleet. And the services side of our business uses those drones to provide a just-in-time, healthcare distribution service. We believe the introduction of just-in-time logistics can fundamentally transform how healthcare systems are designed and magnify access to all people.
The Software Services team builds the essential software used by the people in our healthcare distribution service. This includes the software used by Zipline Operators to run our distribution centers, software used by Recipients to order healthcare products, and software used by Clients and Suppliers for visibility. So the users include both internal Zipliners and our external customers.
It's an extra large scope, with some fun challenges such as-- our people need access in both low & high connectivity environments, we serve in a truly global context, aviation & healthcare are two highly regulated environments, and our service is human-life-critical.
Today we have a small, but mighty team of web engineers that own the full-stack for software used by our operators, recipients and clients. We know that investing in our Software Services team (both the people & the work) is key to achieving our company's mission.
So we need a leader who
- Believes strongly in building software that works backwards from real needs (customer obsessed and product minded!)
- Is excited to lead and grow a team of diverse, distributed software engineers of all experience levels (that means some exciting hiring opportunities & chances to grow people)
- Has a high technical bar that can help us creatively solve for the future
- Is a cultural pillar-- you'll be building an important team and actively shaping our working culture
- People & Team
- Manage our small, diverse, distributed team of full-stack software engineers
- Hire and grow that team to get-ahead of future sales & product needs
- Make technical decisions and set technical strategy
- Code Reviews (you know what great code looks like)
- Planning & Partnering
- Own the full technical roadmap-- this means balancing new feature development, feature improvement and technical debt
- Partnering with the product team & customers to strategize on what to build and when
- Helping build the foundational practices for both our product design & sprint planning processes
- People & Team
- A passion for coaching and growing people who are all stages of their career
- Experience in mentoring and coaching people (not necessarily as the direct manager)
- Experience in recruiting and making hiring decisions
- A high bar for software quality, and knowledge on the interventions needed to improve it across the stack, i.e. everything from ad hoc data cleaning to driving for systematic solutions to data interpretability at the source
- Knowledgeable with both team-wide and individual best practices for analyst & developer productivity, e.g. Agile, CI/CD, testing best practices
- Understanding of data-centric software development (Python, Git, Docker, Spark, Airflow, AWS)
- Planning & Partnering
- A mixture of customer obsession and product vision
- Ability to translate product requirements into technical implementation plans
- Ability to work with both technical and non-technical partners -- you'll be directly working with the product team, and customers (at Zipline, we strive to keep engineers close to customers)
- The judgment on when to say Yes and No! Ship when we need to ship and punt when we can afford to punt
- Nice To Have: Organizational Skills (we could use some more people who enjoy bringing structure to a bit of chaos!)
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
Location: Flexible traveling to South San Francisco (Headquarters) to work with stakeholders with some frequency (1-2 times quarterly max) and overlap working hours with both GMT and PST time zones.