Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams - People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more - provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
Block is seeking an experienced employment litigator with proficiency in both U.S. and Canada employment laws to join our Employment Counsel Team.
- Provide advice and counseling on a broad spectrum of employment law issues in California, the U.S., and Canada (especially in Ontario), including: background checks, contingent workers, employee requests to do outside work, recruiting, DEI, internal investigations, internal communications, performance management, leaves of absence, accommodations, wage and hour, pay equity, terminations, reorganizations, redundancy, and role eliminations.
- Investigate and respond to claims, demand letters, administrative complaints, audits, and other employment-related inquiries
- Advise on the employment aspects of special projects, such as corporate reorganizations, restructuring, and M&A (including performing due diligence)
- Develop and conduct training for employees, managers, and the People team
- Keep up-to-date on employment laws and provide proactive updates to partners
- Conduct audits, employment classification reviews, and support other compliance efforts
- Collaborate with partners and manage projects with a team-oriented approach
- Evaluate employment practices and policies
- Draft and review employment related agreements and templates
- Manage outside counsel on employment matters
- Law degree and license to practice law in work location
- Minimum 5 years of legal practice focused on employment law
- High degree of proficiency in both U.S. and Canada employment law (especially Ontario)
- Experience as an employment litigator, representing companies in disputes
- Experience with class, collective, and representative actions
- Experience evaluating risk in light of business and practical considerations and make clear recommendations
- Experience analyzing and providing advice on federal, state, and local wage and hour compliance
- Excellent collaboration skills
- Experience working within a growing legal team and with members at all levels
- Prior in-house experience
- Professional references
- Experience supporting M&A matters
- Experience supporting corporate reorganizations and restructuring
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $188,400 - USD $230,200
Zone C: USD $178,200 - USD $217,800
Zone D: USD $168,100 - USD $205,500
To find a location's zone designation, please refer to this resource . If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We're working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we're doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page .
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.