Coursera was launched in 2012 by two Stanford Computer Science professors, Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller, with a mission to provide universal access to world-class learning. It is now one of the largest online learning platforms in the world, with 92 million registered learners as of Sept. 30, 2021. Coursera partners with over 250 leading university and industry partners to offer a broad catalog of content and credentials, including Guided Projects, courses, Specializations, certificates, and bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Institutions around the world use Coursera to upskill and reskill their employees, citizens, and students in many high-demand fields, including data science, technology, and business. Coursera became a B Corp in February 2021.
At Coursera, our Data Science team is helping to build the future of education through data-driven decision making and data-powered products. We drive product and business strategy through measurement, experimentation, and causal inference. We define, develop, and launch the models and algorithms that power content discovery, personalized learning, and machine-assisted teaching and grading. We believe the next generation of teaching and learning should be personalized, accessible, and efficient. With our scale, data, technology, and talent, Coursera and its Data Science team are positioned to make that vision a reality.
We’re looking for a talented, creative, and collaborative data scientist to support decision-making for Coursera’s Skills Graph and its product applications. Our Skills Graph is a foundational data asset powered by NLP and crowdsourcing that maps a robust library of skills to the content that teaches them, the careers that require them, and the learners who have or want to learn them. Product applications of Skills Graph range from skills-based search and recommendations to real-time learner skill tracking. Our ideal candidate has excellent analysis and statistical modeling skills, strong written and verbal communication, and an interest in expanding the reach and quality of online education.
- Develop metrics to evaluate the success of key Skills Graph product initiatives
- Estimate the potential impact of proposed projects in order to inform our Product and Business teams’ prioritization decisions
- Develop our understanding of Coursera’s products, business, and learners by analyzing learner and enterprise admin behavior to uncover patterns and identify opportunities for improvement
- Distill insights from complex data and/or data product results; build efficient and scalable insights; communicate findings clearly to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Work closely with data engineering and engineering teams to ensure that new projects and products are launched with clear instrumentation to support experimentation and measurement plans
- Partner with other data scientists to develop measurement plans for new data product launches and to share context from different areas of the business and build a more complete and consistent understanding of what data tells us about our learners
- Background in applied math, computer science, statistics, or a related technical field
- 2+ year of demonstrated history applying statistical inference techniques to business questions
- Excellent business intuition, cross-functional communication, and project management
- Strong applied statistics and data visualization skills
- Proficient with at least one scripting or statistical language (e.g. R or Python)
- Proficient with relational databases and SQL
- 2+ years of experience using data to advise product or business teams
- Ph.D. in applied math, statistics, economics, or a related technical field
- Experience in causal inference methodologiesTrack record of peer-reviewed publications
Coursera is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected class.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, please contact us at [email protected]
Please review our CCPA Applicant Notice here.