Senior Software Engineer at Duolingo (Pittsburgh, PA)
Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC, English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test, and even Math.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
As a backend engineer on the Security team, you will develop tools to help us maintain confidentiality, data integrity, and availability across all Duolingo services and platforms. We strive to continuously improve Duolingo’s infrastructure and security posture through an automation-first approach, enabling engineering teams to easily build security into their features.
We don’t expect you to have prior experience in security, just to be passionate about the space, eager to learn about it and be ready to broaden your engineering skills!
- Develop, release, and maintain backend services and infrastructure.
- Develop scalable monitoring systems for the detection of security anomalies.
- Analyze the current security posture and plan for future threats.
- Harden networks against attacks.
- Work to improve the safety of our users from spam and abuse.
- Strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design.
- Organizational skills to design, plan, prioritize, drive, and successfully launch technical projects.
- Mentorship skills and a desire to coach other teammates.
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- B.A./B.S. in Computer Science or a related field.
- Programming experience in Python; technical expertise in distributed systems, including microservices, databases, caching, and cloud services.
- Experience in product, application, or cloud security.
We invest in and support our Duos! This role is eligible for a robust compensation package of base salary, equity, and Duolingo’s world-class benefits. The starting base salary range for this role is, $148,800 - $274,600. Actual salary may vary based on level, work experience, performance, and other factors evaluated during the hiring process.
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Take a peek at how we care for our employees' holistic well-being with our benefits here.
Duolingo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
By applying for this position your data will be processed as per the Duolingo Applicant Privacy Notice.