Director of Technology - NBC4 Washington DC at NBCUniversal
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service. Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Click here to learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal's commitment and how we are making an impact .
Located in Washington, DC and undergoing a state of the art renovation, the home of NBC4 and Telemundo44 is a 152,000 square-foot broadcast center. It features cutting-edge newsroom IP technology and LEED energy-efficient design. NBC Universal is one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production and marketing of entertainment, news and information to a global audience.
The Technology & Operations Department (DC TechOps) provides Technical Support, Engineering, Media Operations, Production, Studios and Facilitiesservicesfor internal clients for the local portfolio of NBCU Owned Television Station businesses.
The Director of Technology is a full-time position leading the Technical Support teams focused on the implementation of technology solutions and client focused technical support. This position is a critical part of delivering world class support and innovative new technology, enabling operational change and driving smart business solutions. Reporting to the VP, Technology & Operations, the Director of Technology will be the client facing role, responsible for directly supervising the technical team, overseeing complex technical project delivery while supporting and sustaining the local technical systems. Candidate must have experience in managing and developing technical staff with a deep understanding of current and emerging technologies across media and entertainment including infrastructure, distribution, live production, post-production, newsgathering and newsroom systems.
- Development, implementation and accountability to standards, controls and processes that ensure a high degree of availability and reliability across all technical systems and operations
- Facilitate team success with strategic guidance and helping identify and mitigate roadblocks
- Manage day to day technical support operations, ensuring the Station's technical support standards are met focusing on load balancing, prioritization, SLAs and client satisfaction
- Support Enterprise teams with IT system troubleshooting and problem resolution
- Handle and address customer communication, escalation and incident response management
- Provide escalation support for deployed infrastructure as needed by liaising with vendors and other internal / external engineering SMEs for problem resolution
- Manage the implementation, commissioning, documentation and operational handoff of new technology
- Troubleshoot issues and support all systems, infrastructure, and applications (24/7) and coordinate production, technology and facility needs across all departments and local businesses.
- Oversee the purchasing of equipment and the coordination of the stations' technological planning and development.
- Work with client Operations teams to promote a strong VOC (Voice of the Customer) to define requirements and deliver solutions that creatively solve business challenges and implement new processes across Production, Creative Services and other departments as needed
- Provide operational support as needed
- Evaluate and manage technical solutions across all broadcast systems including both SDI and ST-2110 video infrastructures, physical / virtualized / cloud-based compute & storage, network, encode / decode platforms, live production systems, news gathering tools, NLE, media asset management systems, distribution and transmission systems
- Manage station RF environment including TV Transmitters, mics, IFBs and other RF driven systems
- Ensure the successful handoff and maintenance of all relevant documentation, system knowledge and support processes to the support & operational teams; includes creating and sustaining the Department Tech Wiki
- Test new technology through participation in POC initiatives and make recommendations for inclusion in strategic plan
- Make recommendations on needed resources, feasibility, budget and timing requirements
- Participate in the development and management of capital budgets and YoY operational budgets
- Promote and ensure the use of key documentation processes and the transfer of knowledge across teams
- Provide coaching, leadership and development of expertise across the technical teams
- Ongoing monitoring and reporting of team metrics
- Must have minimum of 5+ years of technical leadership experience with proven record of developing and supporting high performing teams
- Experience in the architecture and management of IT, broadcast infrastructure and production systems, including ST-2110 for live production environments
- Bachelor's degree in Media, Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent experience at least 8 years of industry experience
Additional Job Requirements:
- Must be willing to work in Washington, DC
- Ability to work outside of normal business hours and on short notice as necessary
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered a candidate for this position
- Strong leader with the ability to motivate employees, develop talent, tackle organizational challenges and maintain a culture of accountability and high performance
- Collaborative self-starter that demonstrates initiative and the desire for continuous improvement; including the ability to navigate challenging interactions producing positive outcomes.
- Experience supporting a major market News operation
- Highly customer focused with the ability to directly engage with stakeholders across all levels, set agendas, define goals and drive the conversation to achieve success
- Ability to break down complex problems and apply structure to make resolution manageable and achievable
- Passion for learning new technologies and applying them to business challenges
- Experience in business analysis / requirements definition and risk management
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (understands how to communicate to both technical and non-technical audiences). Ability to visualize and communicate both high level concepts and ideas, as well as tactical details for executives, business stakeholders and technology teams across all levels
- Experience executing large complex initiatives in a large matrixed environment with the ability to establish trust with stakeholders
- Experience in assessing project health, removing organizational roadblocks and making room for failure in order to ensure project success
- Flexibility and ability to pivot from one initiative to the next, while managing multiple concurrent projects from very small to very large
- Accustomed to ongoing reporting & documentation
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.