Mgr Ground Support - HOU at Southwest Airlines (Houston, TX)
Southwest will provide a stable work environment with equal opportunity for learning and personal growth. Employees will be provided the same concern, respect, and caring attitude within the organization that they are expected to share externally with every Southwest Customer.
The Manager-Ground Support is responsible for leading ground equipment mechanics who maintain the ground equipment fleet for a mega airport or region of airports. The role leverages strong partnerships with local station leadership, vendors, and other stakeholders to ensure that Southwest's ground equipment fosters a more reliable, safe, and low-cost airport operation.
• Must be able to meet any physical ability requirements listed on this description.
• May perform other job duties as directed by Employee's Leaders.
• Support and advise all levels of local station leadership on their ground equipment fleet by responding to escalated issues, advising on equipment best practices, providing updates on repair work, and meeting frequently to ensure consistent, open communication.
• Oversee the forecasting of station equipment needs and conditions specific to inclement weather, seasonal demands, emergency operations, or peak travel times to ensure minimal operational disruption.
• Monitor the timely completion of a shop's scheduled maintenance and repairs in the fleet management system. Influence Lead Mechanics as needed to ensure the optimal division of work among mechanics, shifts, or locations.
• Coach the performance and professional growth of mechanics and/or supervisors by providing feedback, sharing resources and troubleshooting assistance, building leadership candidates, and encouraging knowledge sharing.
• Resolve escalated interpersonal conflicts. Address performance issues in compliance with contractual requirements when needed.
• Build and foster a productive, harmonious team environment in the shop. Plan, host, and facilitate team meetings and culture events.
• Drive the culture of safety and compliance in the GSE shop environment by ensuring regular attention to safety meetings, audits, trainings, inspections, and programs.
• Ensure adequate staffing coverage in compliance with contractual requirements by forecasting short-term and long-term staffing needs, managing mechanic work schedules and requests, and allocating overtime or downline travel.
• Manage relationships with onsite and offsite vendors to ensure shops have adequate parts and supplies to complete work in a timely manner. Give continuous feedback on service and set future expectations for quality, cost, and timeliness.
• Ensure a low-cost culture and budget adherence by encouraging innovative alternatives to repairs and purchases, auditing vendor invoices and parts purchases, sourcing new suppliers, or facilitating equipment warranties and auctions.
• Collaborate with the greater GSE Team or other key partners to monitor special equipment projects, widespread issues or trends, facility modifications, or staffing needs across regions.
High School Diploma or GED
Or automotive/equipment repair technical degree
Years of Experience
Heavy truck and/or equipment repair experience with a technical degree
Heavy truck and/or equipment repair experience in lieu of a technical degree
Leadership experience or equivalent
• Must have abilities sufficient to work in vicinity of ramps, hangers and terminals.
• Must be able to lift and move items up to 50 pounds.
• Must be able to climb, bend, kneel, crawl and stoop.
• Required advanced ability to analyze mechanical problems and advise on sound repair decisions
• Required working knowledge of gas, diesel, electric, hydraulic and alternate fuel systems and parts
• Required ability to work in high-pressure or emergency situations
• Required coaching, motivation, listening, and conflict resolution skills
• Required ability to work extended/flexible hours and prioritize competing work demands
• Required professional written and oral communication skills
• Required knowledge of collective bargaining agreement processes and procedures
• Preferred ability to navigate computer programs and equipment diagnostic systems
• Preferred ability to build relationships with industry contacts and vendors
• Preferred ability to build or interpret reports and analyze data
• Preferred ability to perform hands-on training for Mechanics
• May be required to travel at short notice to other locations
• May be required to work through inclement weather
• Must maintain a well-groomed appearance per Company appearance standards as described in established guidelines.
• Must be a U.S. citizen or have authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986.
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Must be able to comply with Company attendance standards as described in established guidelines.
Please print/save the job description because it won't be available after you apply
Southwest Airlines is an Equal Opportunity Employer