Culture Leader - Director, HRBP
Upgrade is a fintech company that provides affordable and responsible credit, mobile banking, and payment products to everyday consumers. We were the fastest growing company in the Americas last year according to the Financial Times and Upgrade Card was the fastest growing credit card in America two years in a row. We have delivered over $25 billion in affordable and responsible credit to our 2.7M customers. The company is backed by some of the most prominent technology investors and was recently valued at $6.3B.
We have built an energizing, collaborative and inclusive culture where team members help each other, learn and innovate to move the company and its customers in the right direction, and own the outcome of their efforts.
Upgrade has been named a “Best Place to Work in the Bay Area” three years in a row, “Top Companies to work for in Arizona” and one of the "Best Engineering Department" awarded annually by Comparably. We've also received recognition for being a best company for Diversity, Women, Culture, and Veterans.
We are looking for new team members who get excited about designing and delivering new and better products to join a team of 1600 talented and dedicated professionals. Come work with us if you like to tackle big problems and make a meaningful difference in people's lives.
About the Role:
As the Culture Leader (more commonly known as a Director, HRBP), you will play a pivotal role in fostering an engaging and inspiring work environment that continues to position our call center as the place to be. Your strategic mindset and expertise as a HR professional will drive initiatives that enhance team member engagement, satisfaction, and retention. You will lead a team of Culture Champions and collaborate closely with cross-functional stakeholders to address employee concerns, manage conflict, and ensure compliance with company policies and legal regulations.
This is an in-office role based in Phoenix, Arizona.
What You’ll Do:
- Leadership: Lead, mentor, and develop a team of Culture Champions, fostering their professional growth and ensuring consistent and effective support to the call center operations.
- Employee Relations Strategy: Develop and implement a comprehensive employee relations strategy that aligns with the company's values and goals. Proactively identify potential issues and develop strategies to mitigate risks while fostering a positive workplace culture.
- Policy Development and Compliance: Collaborate with legal and HR teams to ensure all Human Resource policies, procedures, and practices are compliant with federal and state labor laws and regulations.
- Employee Engagement: Drive initiatives to enhance employee engagement and satisfaction within the call center. Partner with leadership to develop and execute strategies that promote an inspiring and engaging work environment. Optimize the Employee Engagement programs that reward and recognize employees, track and measure for success.
- Training and Development: Partner with the learning and development team in implementing programs to enhance team member skills, foster career growth, and improve overall performance.
- Metrics and Reporting: Establish key metrics and reporting mechanisms to track employee relations, identify patterns, and proactively address issues. Utilize data-driven insights to continuously improve the effectiveness of HR programs.
- Legal Compliance: Stay abreast of federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations. Ensure that employee relations practices are in compliance with legal requirements and proactively address any potential risks.
- Collaboration: Partner closely with other HR functions such as Talent Acquisition, Compensation and Benefits, and HR Operations to ensure seamless delivery of HR services to the call center.
- DEI: Support and champion the development of diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
- Talent Management: Oversee the performance appraisal process, providing guidance to managers and employees to improve performance and productivity.
What We Look For:
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field (Master's degree preferred).
- 10+ years of progressively responsible experience in HR, with a focus on employee relations, workplace conflict, and performance management.
- At least 5 years of managerial experience.
- Ability to work in high volume, fast-paced, dynamic environment with the ability to adapt with changing priorities
- Strong understanding of employment laws and regulations, particularly related to employee relations.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills.
- Proven track record of successfully resolving complex employee relations issues.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to align employee relations initiatives with business goals.
- Strong leadership and team management skills.
- High level of integrity, confidentiality, and professionalism.
Nice to Have:
- Experience in a call center environment or within the fintech industry is a plus.
What We Offer You:
- Competitive salary and stock option plan
- 100% paid coverage of medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible PTO
- Opportunities for professional growth and development
- Paid parental leave
- Health & wellness initiatives
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.