Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely - and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers struggle with disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn't work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions - to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we've embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we're a partner to sellers of all sizes - large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We're building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Square is built by an incredible team that is on a mission to make commerce easy for all types of businesses. As one of our three vertical solutions, Square Appointments helps businesses in the Beauty and Fitness industries succeed. We build innovative solutions that provide businesses with everything they need to start, run, and grow their business: scheduling and online booking, a point of sale that tracks customer details, and a secure, fast payments system. Our mission is to grow bookings and make commerce easy.
Our server engineering team owns the backend that powers all of Square Appointments and includes the public Bookings API . As a backend engineering manager in Appointments, you will lead a group of backend engineers who are building seller-facing features specifically focused on the Beauty industry. We benefit from (and contribute to) the resources of the larger Square organization while staying focused on solving Appointment-specific challenges. We strive to be relentlessly customer focused, build and iterate quickly. Square Appointments is a fully distributed team with presence in NYC, San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle as well as many fully remote team members.
- Lead a team of backend engineers. Grow and develop your team through hiring, coaching, and intentional career development. You will have a strong start, as your team will be seeded by amazing engineers and a growth-oriented culture.
- Work closely with engineers, engineering managers and cross functional partners within Appointments and across Square to build world-class software
- Lead your team to execute and deliver what sellers need in a timely manner, while pragmatically balancing across many axis
- Lead structure and process changes to ensure teams scale with minimal overhead
- Support the team in achieving quality and stability at Square Appointments' massive scale
- Instill a sense of customer empathy within your team
- Experience building distributed systems at large scale
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer as an individual contributor
- 3+ years of experience managing software engineering teams
- Experience in coaching and developing engineers through senior levels, and growing engineering teams through hiring and career development
- Strong technical foundations to help support your engineering team through architecture and product changes. You will be called upon to advise engineers on design and process, represent your engineering team to leadership and partners, and ensure excellent technical output from your team.
- Eagerness to collaborate with cross-functional partners and peer EMs, as partners with shared goals and openness to each other's ideas.
- A strong bias toward serving customers, your team and stakeholders
- Experience leading distributed teams across different time zones (North America only)
Languages and technologies we use and teach:
- Languages: Ruby, Java
- Frameworks: Rails, RSpec, Sidekiq, gRPC, Guice
- Infrastructure: MySQL, Redis, Kafka
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone B: USD $211,600 - USD $258,600
Zone C: USD $200,500 - USD $245,100
Zone D: USD $189,400 - USD $231,400
To find a location's zone designation, please refer to this resource . If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We're working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we're doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page .
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.