Advanced Server Engineer
Every great story has a new beginning, and yours starts here.
Welcome to Warner Bros. Discovery... the stuff dreams are made of.
Who We Are...
When we say, "the stuff dreams are made of," we're not just referring to the world of wizards, dragons and superheroes, or even to the wonders of Planet Earth. Behind WBD's vast portfolio of iconic content and beloved brands, are the storytellers bringing our characters to life, the creators bringing them to your living rooms and the dreamers creating what's next...
From brilliant creatives, to technology trailblazers, across the globe, WBD offers career defining opportunities, thoughtfully curated benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. Here you are supported, here you are celebrated, here you can thrive.
Warner Bros. Games San Diego is creating the next generation of high quality, cross-platform games that bring iconic and beloved characters to life. Join our growing team of talented game makers and be a foundational part of a dynamic new studio as we strive to make an impact on the future of AAA free-to-play games.
WB Games San Diego is seeking an Advanced Server Software Engineer who will be responsible for further enhancement of current server infrastructure and network services supporting our AAA free-to-play games.
You will work on the Core Technology Engineering Team to develop high-quality, scalable server and networking features for AAA games. You should demonstrate high competency of writing backend and network service technologies and work alongside the gameplay team to provide optimal solutions for systems that scale.
This role can be FULLY REMOTE.
The ideal candidate is hard-working, hands-on, self-motivated, process-driven, and customer-oriented.
What part will you play?
- Write server focused features that support high-traffic, multi-server, scalable backend systems
- Work closely with the Feature Owners, Game Client Engineers, Game Designers and LiveOps developers on features, integration with the backend and tools
- Work with Internal Teams integrating shared technologies
- Optimize and improve existing networking codebase utilizing profiling tools and instruments
- Perform peer code reviews and champion a high standard of code excellence
- Assist in network operating upgrades & future live-ops releases
- Assess new market trends, features, network technologies, and emerging techniques to stay competitive
What do we need from you?
- Minimum of 5+ years working in network engineering on multiplayer games
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science (or a related field) or equivalent work experience
- Experience developing server side code and backend services with client interfaces
- Experienced in C++, Python languages
- Understanding of networking protocols (TCP, UDP, etc)
- Familiarity with online gaming backend services such as AWS Gamelift, PlayFab, etc.
- Concise documentation skills with attention to detail
- Strong problem solving, debugging, and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent communication skills working with larger team
- Motivated team player with a positive attitude along with a strong work ethic
- Ability to self-manage when given prioritized goals and objectives
- Seek out opportunities to improve technically and professionally
- Experience profiling and optimizing bandwidth for multiplayer games
- Understanding of the Unreal networking architecture
- Previous experience with content delivery pipelines on AAA games.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge working with git pipelines
How We Get Things Done...
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits...
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation, or a range thereof, for roles in locations where legally required. Actual salaries will vary based on several factors, including but not limited to external market data, internal equity, location, skill set, experience, and/or performance. Base pay is just one component of Warner Bros. Discovery's total compensation package for employees. Pay Range: $122,504.00 - $227,508.00 salary per year. Other rewards may include annual bonuses, short- and long-term incentives, and program-specific awards. In addition, Warner Bros. Discovery provides a variety of benefits to employees, including health insurance coverage, an employee wellness program, life and disability insurance, a retirement savings plan, paid holidays and sick time and vacation.
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate and you require adjustments or accommodations to search for a job opening or apply for a position, please contact us at [email protected].