Accounting Internship- Spring 2025 (Milwaukee, WI)
The way you think makes you different. At Wipfli, we embrace that.
Our inclusive culture provides a space for everyone to have a voice. Our growing number of DEI resource groups celebrate diversity and champion awareness throughout Wipfli.
We're also focused on helping you achieve success with balance. From hybrid schedules and flexible time off to training programs and mental wellness initiatives, we take care of our team.
If you want to be in an environment where you can grow, feed your curiosity and make a difference, Wipfli is the place for you.
Interns will be responsible for utilizing educational knowledge and experience to perform numerous accounting related responsibilities such as:
- Respond to client and firm associate requests in a timely, accurate, positive and professional manner
- Respond to inquiries from client and work with client to gather necessary information for completion of required documents
- Use data analysis skills to discover useful information and patterns to provide support in recommendations
- Proactively identify improvement opportunities in processes to enhance efficiency
***NOTE: Interns will receive experience in both tax AND audit***
- Prepare individual, business and fiduciary tax returns and projections in accordance with firm and professional standards as directed by engagement leaders
- Understand and effectively use current tax and accounting software applications
- Research tax related issues and other related financial reports
- Perform a limited number of tax return interviews as needed
- Perform audit, review, and compliance testing procedures in accordance with firm and professional standards and as directed by engagement leaders
- Communicate with engagement leaders regarding open items, testing problems, or other important matters in a timely manner
- Prepare (or review client prepared) financial statements and footnotes, management reports, and other engagement outputs
- Develop technical competency with GAAP, especially related to assigned product line
What You will Gain
- Experience the Wipfli Way first hand while working side by side with professionals from all levels of the firm
- Develop experience and skills to become a trusted business advisor for clients and associates
- Gain hands-on experience in tax and/or audit work, and related software applications
- Work as an individual contributor and as part of a team to support client engagements
- Gain exposure to a variety of clients and industries ranging from small businesses to large corporations
- Develop administrative, professional, and interpersonal skills to the extent of being able to organize, analyze, and communicate with others in a productive and efficient manner
- Pursuing a Bachelors or Master's degree in Accounting (completion of corporate or individual taxation class is required)
- Above average competency in accounting as demonstrated by college GPA; Minimum 3.2 GPA
- Working towards eligibility to sit for CPA exam upon graduation (150 credits)
- Preferred coursework in Data Analytics or Big Data
- Ability to think independently and make good decisions based on education and experience
- Good communication and interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with clients and staff
- Ability to prioritize work, follow through on requests, take initiative and meet deadlines
Wipfli is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All candidates will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Victoria Spencer, from our recruiting team, will be guiding you through this process. Visit her LinkedIn page to connect!
Wipfli offers paid sick leave; access to free, confidential counseling through our Employee Assistance Program; and participation in our Wipfli Foundation matching program for charitable giving.