In this program, you’ll learn foundational data skills that apply across functions and industries. You’ll learn to analyze data and build models with Excel, query databases using SQL, and create informative data visualizations with Tableau.
Senior Business Analyst
What Is a Senior Business Analyst? How to Become One, Salary, Skills.
Senior business analysts tend to oversee the entirety of a business analysis team and suggest large-scale strategies to improve efficiency and profitability. Though they have similar tasks as business analysts, they are often responsible for solving larger and more complex business problems. Here’s what to know about a senior business analyst’s needed skills, salary and how to become one.
What Is a Senior Business Analyst?
Senior business analysts in a company review business operations, identify opportunities for improvement and collaborate with other managers to complete business projects.
What Do Senior Business Analysts Do?
Senior business analysts mentor business analysts and suggest high-level business optimization strategies.
Senior Business Analyst Responsibilities
- Assess business performance and ensure operational goals are being met.
- Identify and mitigate operational and technical risks within the business.
- Research and apply improved business strategies.
- Collaborate with management and stakeholders to meet business needs.
Day-to-Day Responsibilities of Senior Business Analysts
- Create documentation for new business project proposals and use cases.
- Review and suggest improvements for system operations.
- Communicate project guidelines between business, IT and executive teams.
- Provide updates on project outcomes to clients or customers.
Senior Business Analysts Within a Company
Senior business analysts are usually part of a business intelligence, business development or data science team within a company. They may report to a lead business analyst or a director of business operations.
Importance of Senior Business Analysts
Without senior business analysts, business operation goals may not be properly met and needs between business and technical teams may not be properly communicated.
What Skills Are Needed to Be a Senior Business Analyst?
Qualifications to Be a Senior Business Analyst
- Four or more years of experience in business analysis, business operations or similar roles.
- Ability to identify and implement opportunities for business improvement.
- Ability to document and apply business requirement guidelines to team projects.
- Proficiency in cross-team and client collaboration.
Senior Business Analyst Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, IT or a similar field.
Senior Business Analyst Hard Skills
- Expertise in business operation and management tools.
- Experience with data analysis tools and techniques.
- Knowledge of financial modeling and forecasting tools.
- Understanding of technical processes.
Senior Business Analyst Soft Skills
- Agile and project management best practices.
- Collaboration skills.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Verbal and written communication skills.
Tools and Programs Senior Business Analysts Use
- Microsoft 365
- Oracle NetSuite
How to Become a Senior Business Analyst
Senior Business Analyst Education and Experience
Senior business analysts usually earn a bachelor’s degree in business, finance or a similar field. Professionals may also earn a master’s in business administration (MBA) depending on the role.
Senior business analysts are typically expected to hold four or more years of experience in business analysis, business operations or similar roles. Knowledge in the areas of business operations and management, data and financial analysis, project management, SQL databases and cross-team communication are also recommended.
Senior Business Analyst Certificates and Courses
- Agile Crash Course: Agile Project Management; Agile Delivery
- Excel Crash Course: Master Excel for Financial Analysis
- SQL - MySQL for Data Analytics and Business Intelligence
- Understanding Jira for users, managers and admins
Senior Business Analyst Career Path
Before stepping into the senior business analyst role, professionals will need several years of experience in business analysis, business development or similar roles. From here, professionals may progress into roles like lead business analyst and director of business operations or analytics.
Senior Business Analyst Salary and Job Outlook
Senior business analysts are expected to see job growth, as management analysts and similar roles will increase 11 percent by 2031.
The full compensation package for a senior business analyst depends on a variety of factors, including but not limited to the candidate’s experience and geographic location. See below for detailed information on the average senior business analyst salary.
Senior Business Analyst Certifications + Programs
Udacity’s industry-leading data science certifications can provide you with the resume-boosting education you need to land your dream role.