Senior Software Development Engineer in Test
WHO WE ARE
Apex Fintech Solutions (AFS) powers innovation and the future of digital wealth management by processing millions of transactions daily, to simplify, automate, and facilitate access to financial markets for all. Our robust suite of fintech solutions enables us to support clients such as Stash, Betterment, SoFi, and Webull, and more than 20 million of our clients' customers.
Collectively, AFS creates an environment in which companies with the biggest ideas in fintech are empowered to change the world. We are based in Dallas, TX and also have offices in Austin, New York, Chicago, Portland, and Belfast.
If you are seeking a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment where you'll have the opportunity to make an immediate impact, and you have the guts to change everything, this is the place for you.
AFS has received a number of prestigious industry awards, including:
- 2021, 2020, 2019, and 2018 Best Wealth Management Company - presented by Fintech Breakthrough Awards
- 2021 Most Innovative Companies - presented by Fast Company
- 2021 Best API & Best Trading Technology - presented by Global Fintech Awards
ABOUT THIS ROLE
At Apex Fintech Solutions, we're all about building the next-generation trade clearing platform that enables the hottest stock trading apps the capabilities they need to introduce a new generation to investing. We need a passionate, determined, courageous, and principled Senior Software Development Engineer in Test like you to help us achieve this mission. If what you need next in your career is an opportunity to be empowered to make your own decisions, learn from your mistakes and execute what works, Apex Fintech Solutions is likely the place for you.
We're looking for someone who:
- Is a Software Engineer by training, quality practitioner by trade. You really enjoy applying your software engineering practices in meaningful ways to continue pushing the quality bar upward.
- Is intellectually curious. You want to understand the design decisions that teams made, how their applications work, map data flows, understand data transformations and dependencies throughout our application architecture; you work hard to understand the whole problem and aren't afraid to ask questions or point out concerns.
- Builds collaborative relationships with other engineering teams. You develop productive, beneficial relationships with other engineering teams and their embedded SDETs across the organization to enable continuous learning and best practices in quality engineering.
- Understands how to strike the balance between manual and automated testing. You understand that your time is valuable and prioritize your automation efforts towards the highest risk, most repeatable, and highest value test cases.
- Loves mentoring and coaching other engineers. You have a desire to build a community of practice in Test, help your team and other SDETs to grow in their career, and provide practical advice to solve complex problems.
- Always feels they can do things better the next time around. You constantly look for better, faster, and more inclusive ways to prove that our software quality meets the mark.
A few reasons why you might love working here:
- We've got an incredible track record to foster success and ongoing innovation with our customers so you get all the benefits of a stable company, while enjoying a very entrepreneurial culture.
- Our team is passionate and driven to succeed. We are deeply invested in providing quality services and products for our customers. Their success is our success.
- You're open to change. The landscape is ever-changing. We do not sit idle; we are not satisfied with the status quo. We will push industry standards and strive to deliver world class solutions through innovation.
- You'll have genuine opportunities for growth. We care about your career goals and provide options for both managerial and technical career paths. We encourage outside learning from conferences to seminars and meetup groups.
- The ability to contribute to and benefit from a culture of continuous learning. Generous policies regarding attending industry conferences, books, and training reimbursement. We also hold regular hackathons or tech days.
What you'll do all day:
- Work with a world-class team of SDETs, and help establish a best-in-class Java framework around system, integration, regression and load testing across our broad suite of enterprise applications. You will code a lot!
- Engage across software development, data engineering and cloud architecture disciplines to build and maintain a full understanding of our continuously evolving application testing surface, taking a comprehensive approach to automation in quality assurance.
- Work with SDETs embedded in software development teams to inform the depth and breadth of our integration and regression testing framework, striving for maximum end to end test case coverage between engineering teams and your team.
- Evaluate test plans and risk assessments, and build advanced tools for test automation.
- Define and track core metrics that generate visibility into product quality for key stakeholders across the organization.
- Be an ambassador for quality in engineering across all teams and an active member of the SDET community of practice.
- Contribute to a culture of quality by improving processes and mentoring peers, helping them expand their skill set and grow in their career.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Have a degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other engineering or quantitative degree (or equivalent work experience)
- Have 6+ years of software engineering experience (Java) working with backend services
- Have 2+ years experience in building automated testing environments
- Be an experienced Java developer who can easily see the big picture and quickly understand complex issues
- Hit the ground running by contributing their engineering expertise in developing test automation code
- Build and expand our automated testing infrastructure as the organization identifies novel testing opportunities to safely expand our cloud-based microservices
- Be comfortable as a thought leader as well as a hands-on practitioner
- Have successfully mentored talented junior SDETs in their recent past
- Lead a community of practice at Apex Clearing by unifying testing efforts across development teams
- Work closely with the team to debug and troubleshoot existing issues while preemptively identifying weaknesses in new systems
- Help hire and mentor the next generation of Apex Fintech Solutions engineers
Skills that will help you achieve the above goals:
- You currently are an experienced SDET building and maintaining automated system tests
- The ability to pick up new languages, framework, or tooling on the job as we continuously improve our stack.
- Working knowledge of event-driven systems using RabbitMQ, Kafka, Google Pub/Sub or similar
- Familiarity with popular databases such as Postgres, Big Query, MongoDB, or similar
- Experience working with open/closed box testing methodologies
- A financial services (clearing, capital markets, accounting) background is helpful
- Familiarity with running and testing software in cloud and on-prem *nix environments
#engineering #mid-senior #full-time #LI-JA1
We offer a robust package of employee perks and benefits, including healthcare benefits (medical, dental and vision, EAP), competitive PTO, 401k match, parental leave, and HSA contribution match. We also provide our employees with a paid subscription to the Calm app and offer generous external learning and tuition reimbursement benefits. At AFS, we offer a hybrid work schedule for most roles that allows employees to have the flexibility of working from home and one of our primary offices.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) Commitment
At Apex, we embrace diversity and are dedicated to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace. We value every team member's unique perspective and are committed to fostering a culture where everyone belongs. Join us in our mission to empower and celebrate individual differences.
Apex is committed to being an equal opportunity employer. We ensure that qualified applicants receive fair consideration for employment without discrimination based on sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, color, natural or protective hairstyle, genetics, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We stand by this commitment to promote a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce.