RS21 is a dynamic, growing startup with 65+ employees doing great things, and we're looking for the right people to help move us forward. Our nine core values empower a culture of integrity, learning, taking risks, making a difference, constantly improving, and helping our team achieve a healthy work-life balance with flexible schedules and remote work options. As a testament to our exceptional culture, we were named a Fast Company Best Workplace for Innovators.
We are looking for a Senior Research Data Scientist to play a pivotal role in driving our research initiatives, generating innovative ideas, and securing funding through the submission of white papers and research proposals. You will be at the forefront of our research efforts, responsible for generating novel ideas, identifying critical problems, and leading the development of data-driven solutions. In this role you will be a key contributor bringing forward novel ideas and developing robust proof of concept models.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify research opportunities, emerging trends and develop innovative data science projects that align with RS21's strategic goals
- Author research proposals, white papers and technical documentation to communicate research methodologies, findings, and recommendations to both technical and non-technical stakeholders. These documents play a crucial role in securing funding and financial support from various sources, including government agencies and foundations.
- Analyze large amounts of information to discover trends and hidden patterns.
- Embrace process and best practices for model testing and deployment.
- Perform unsupervised, semi-supervised, and supervised modeling.
- Develop deep neural network algorithms.
- Communicate findings to non-technical audiences.
- Work cross-functionally with both internal & external stakeholders.
- Present team findings to internal and external stakeholders.
- PhD degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, Physics, Economics, or equivalency with work experience
- 2-3 years prior data experience in an agile environment using:
- Python, R, or similar
- ML libraries, such as scikit-learn, caret, mlr, mllib
- Spark, Hadoop, distributed computing technologies
- Experience in securing research funding through grant applications and proposals.
- Extensive background in machine learning; both unsupervised and supervised learning
- Experience deploying ML models into production
- Background in ML frameworks such as TensorFlow and Keras
- Comfortable with ambiguity; able to drive solutions when the answers aren’t always obvious
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced startup environment
- Active security clearance or the ability to obtain one
Nice to Have:
- Experience with CMB (condition-based maintenance)
- Experience developing research programs
- Previous success winning and performing on government-funded research proposals is strongly preferred
RS21 is committed to transparent and fair compensation. The final salary within this range will be determined based on relevant experience. Comprehensive benefits include flexible paid time off, medical, dental, and vision insurance with a generous employer contribution to premiums for employees and their dependents, a 401k plan with a 3% employer safe harbor contribution, and more.
RS21 is a rapidly growing data science company that uses artificial intelligence, design, data engineering, and modern software development methods to empower organizations to make data-driven decisions that positively impact the world. Our innovative solutions are insightful, intuitive, inspiring, and intellectually honest. With teams in Albuquerque, NM, Washington, DC, and distributed throughout the United States, RS21 is an Inc. 5000 fastest-growing company two years in a row and a Fast Company Best Workplace for Innovators
We help clients achieve programmatic goals, improve efficiencies, reduce costs, and maximize productivity using MOTHR, our AI engine, that allows users to seamlessly integrate data and reveal insights at hyper speed. We navigate complex data issues in the fields of healthcare, defense, safety, urban planning, energy, cyber, land use, climate, disaster preparedness, disaster recovery, space, and social equity.