Your opportunity at ARC’TERYX:
As a Senior Footwear Designer, you design and develop advanced comprehensive product solutions that are aligned with the Arc’teryx design philosophies, continuously exceeding our users’ evolving needs. In this role, you will support with establishing the long-term vision and design strategy for our Footwear category. You will bring your curiosity and passion for product to imagine and build innovative, relevant, and resolved footwear designs. You are an innovative problem solver with a focus on collaborative team work.
This role is based out of our Portland office and is expected to be performed on-location.
Meet your future team:
The Arc’teryx Footwear team creates innovative, technical product that exceeds the core mountain athlete’s needs in the outdoors. We are builders, problem solvers and passionate outdoor enthusiasts. Fueled by curiosity, we take an immersive approach to identifying our athlete’s needs and build, test, and validate products that solve for real functional challenges. We are a passionate collective with a focus on collaborative teamwork and our vision is to redefine the industry.
If you were in the Senior Footwear Designer role now, here are some of the core activities you would be doing:
- Executing all design needs for assigned collection and projects with in both seasonal and long-termAdvanced Concepts timelines
- Supporting stage gates, meetings, presentations, and long-term strategy work
- Creating strong working relationships with your immediate team, cross functionally, and with overseas teams; communicating clearly and frequently on all topics related to our design, athlete and guest
- Serving the mountain athlete and broader guest needs through research and observation, leveraging user-centered and iterative design approaches
- Driving the design process from ideation and concept, through to the guest
- Supporting with the innovation of new technologies, materials, constructions, and design for manufacturing techniques
- Mentoring designers, developers, and new teammates by sharing skills, knowledge and experience
- Creating and visually conveying concepts, tech packs, patterns, mock ups, and prototypes to prove new concepts; presenting work at all stage gates in internal reviews and meetings as needed
- Providing the Product Creation Development team with detailed product tech packs, inclusive of spec drawings, patterns, fits, materials and color information
- Collaborating with the Raw Materials team to source, develop, and test new materials
- Developing and maintaining a thorough understanding of existing Arc’teryx materials and manufacturing techniques
- Defining and building in collaboration with other designers, creating new and better toolbox solutions
- Staying current with industry trends
- Assisting with product design changes; addressing in-line production needs as required
- Collaborating with the Colour team to provide end-use needs, material considerations and feedback
- Adhering to the Arc’teryx sustainability design principles, while also driving future initiatives in consideration of footwear needs
- Here are some of the things you could be working on in the future: Working on reimagining technical footwear for the mountain athlete Contributing to the creation of a new footwear chapter for Arc’teryx, centered on product, process and team Collaborating with Arc’teryx athletes and other industry representatives to help ensure Arc’teryx is exceeding our athlete and guests’ evolving needs Collaborating with Footwear leadership team to make decisions on product solutions, sharing of responsibilities, work load and overall product plans
Are you our next Senior Designer – Footwear?
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial/Product Design, or equivalent industry experience
- You have 7+ years of hands- on experience designing footwear
- You have a thorough understanding of soft goods, molded and tooled parts, and various manufacturing processes
- You have meticulous attention to detail, able to design a cohesive collection of footwear
- You have hands-on experience creating tools and construction methods
- You have excellent planning, organizational, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- You are proactive in identifying the root cause of issues, seeking the best (sometimes not the easiest) solutions, with an unwavering commitment to do what is right
- You remain highly flexible and adaptable when faced with ambiguity
- You effectively balance autonomy and collaboration
- You inspire breakthrough thinking and continuous improvement
- Your passion for your work is paralleled by your passion for getting outside and living it
- You have excellent intuition for the activities we make product for
- You have the ability to travel for an average of 35% of your time
Arc’teryx is committed to actively creating and fostering a culture of inclusivity where voices are heard, people are seen, and values are respected. We care about the uniqueness of our applicants, employees, and guests, and we do so in a safe space fueled by curiosity and acceptance.
Creating an inclusive workplace is connected to our core value Do Right while also having the added benefit of helping make our business better. We believe inclusion helps us to create a healthier, happier workplace, drive creativity and innovation, and reflect the communities where we operate.
All applicants, employees, and guests can expect equality of opportunity and fair treatment in alignment with our values.
Design your Purpose. Live our Values.
DISRUPTIVE EVOLUTION. Design your future through challenge, experimentation, and inspiration.
COMMIT. Set and deliver on bold objectives as we collectively raise the bar.
LIVE IT. Deepen your connection to nature and live your most purposeful life.
LEAVE IT BETTER. Create a better world, together.