The Companion Animal Regional Sales Manager position will lead the Illinois/Iowa Regional Companion Animal sales team to accomplish regional sales goals and organizational objectives to position the broad product portfolio. This position provides direct leadership to the regional sales team of up to approximately 10 Territory and Senior Territory Representatives.
This role will cover the Great Lakes region. Candidates must live in or be willing to relocate to the region.
In this role, the responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Prepares and implements a comprehensive region business plan, ensuring consistent product program implementation and sales goal attainment.
- Direct impact on business unit performance through strong leadership and management skills.
- Talent management for the attraction, retention and motivation of regional sales team.
- Manages, coaches and provides direction to the sales team; works to build cohesive teams. Provides ongoing coaching and feedback; conducts formal and informal performance reviews. Recognizes employee success and communicates to the team providing constructive feedback. Proficient at resolving conflict.
- Impactful communication to ensure consistent messages and leadership within the region.
- Problem solving extends beyond the regional level. Originates ideas and suggests new areas for development.
- Works cross functionally with region Technical Services Veterinarian
- Collaborates and fosters relationships with key distributor management personnel to promote the portfolio of products.
Animal Health Commercial Competencies:
- Demonstrate Ethics & Integrity
- Drive Results
- Focus on Customers & Patients
- Make Rapid Disciplined Decisions
- Act with Courage & Candor
- Build Talent
- Foster Collaboration
- Business & Financial Acumen
- Working Across Boundaries
- Strategic Thinking
- Productive Communication
- Problem Solving
- Project Management
Core Commercial Functional Competencies:
- Customer and Market Insights
- Product Knowledge & Portfolio Management
- Account Management
- Customer Engagement
- Market Access
- Regulatory & Compliance Knowledge
- Lifecycle Management
Background & Education:
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Minimum of eight (8) years Animal Health product Sales and/or Marketing or related experience
- At least two (2) years leadership experience with demonstrated accomplishments
- Animal Health Technical, Product & Market Knowledge
- Market Share Mindset focusing on potential verses outcomes
- Territory & Business Management
- Leadership and building strong teams
- Position requires strong written and verbal communication skills and excellent presentation skills, analytical skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Must have a valid driver's license
- Must be available for extensive overnight travel (50%)
- Must live within or be willing to relocate to the Sales Region
- Previous experience in the animal health or human health sales is preferred
- Fluency in Spanish is preferred but not required
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as customer-facing commercial, or research-based roles, will be expected to comply not only with Company policy but also with policies established by such external stakeholders (for example, a requirement to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to access a facility or meet with stakeholders). Please understand that, as permitted by applicable law, if you have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 and an essential function of your job is to call on external stakeholders who require vaccination to enter their premises or engage in face-to-face meetings, then your employment may pose an undue burden to business operations, in which case you may not be offered employment, or your employment could be terminated. Please also note that, where permitted by applicable law, the Company reserves the right to require COVID-19 vaccinations for positions, such as in Global Employee Health, where the Company determines in its discretion that the nature of the role presents an increased risk of disease transmission.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. For more information about personal rights under the U.S. Equal Opportunity Employment laws, visit:
EEOC Know Your Rights
EEOC GINA Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another's thinking and approach problems collectively.
Learn more about your rights, including under California, Colorado and other US State Acts
U.S. Hybrid Work Model
Effective September 5, 2023, employees in office-based positions in the U.S. will be working a Hybrid work consisting of three total days on-site per week, generally Tuesday, Wednesday and either Monday or Thursday, although the specific days may vary by site or organization, with Friday designated as a remote-working day, unless business critical tasks require an on-site presence. This Hybrid work model does not apply to, and daily in-person attendance is required for, field-based positions; facility-based, manufacturing-based, or research-based positions where the work to be performed is located at a Company site; positions covered by a collective-bargaining agreement (unless the agreement provides for hybrid work); or any other position for which the Company has determined the job requirements cannot be reasonably met working remotely. Please note, this Hybrid work model guidance also does not apply to roles that have been designated as "remote".
Under New York State, Colorado State, Washington State, and California State law, the Company is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the salary range for this job. Final determinations with respect to salary will take into account a number of factors, which may include, but not be limited to the primary work location and the chosen candidate's relevant skills, experience, and education.
Expected salary range:
$130,960.00 - $206,200.00
Available benefits include bonus eligibility, health care and other insurance benefits (for employee and family), retirement benefits, paid holidays, vacation, and sick days. For Washington State Jobs, a summary of benefits is listed here .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License: