Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We help connect companies large and small with top independent talent from around the world. Simply put, our mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives.
Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled independent professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere.
This is an incredible opportunity to be on the founding tax product management team critical to realizing Upwork’s growth ambitions both domestically in the US, as well as internationally!
The Sr. Product Manager, Tax will report to the VP, Payment, and sit in the product and experience organization. The key area of focus of this role is ensuring compliance with our tax obligations to support the development, growth, and expansion of Upwork’s product offerings and reach. This role will also work closely with our finance and legal teams to bring tax awareness and proficiency across our product and engineering teams. A successful candidate will also build successful relationships across the broader company and be a go-to resource for tax product-related knowledge and expertise.Your Responsibilities:
- Actively partner with a variety of Upwork teams, including design, engineering, marketing, legal, accounting, and finance on new products, initiatives, and global expansions of existing products.
- Lead the tax aspects for the end-to-end full life cycle of product deployment, including but not limited to design review, testing, launch, tax functionality, reporting, and compliance.
- Build a deep understanding of Upwork’s business model and various products, understanding key tax positions, issues, and obligations.
- Support a broad range of teams such as Community, Customer Support, Financial Risk & Compliance, Trust & Safety, and others to address product needs and user queries as it relates to tax issues.
- Evaluate and provide mentorship on internal processes or external user communications to ensure clear and effective documentation related to any tax issue/process is made available.
- Keep informed about changes in tax legislation to identify potential impact on Upwork’s products and business for planning purposes.
- You will need relevant tax experience with outstanding knowledge of US income and sales tax laws as well as international tax systems.
- A strong technical tax background that enables you to evaluate, develop, and lead the implementation of tax strategies.
- You have supported new products and initiatives, brought awareness to tax considerations, and advocated for tax requirements.
- You have a proven record of understanding and presenting technical tax issues clearly to non-tax team members and work effectively across all functional teams.
- You have relevant public accounting, law firm, or industry experience
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 15 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.