Product Manager - Search & Match at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We help connect companies large and small with top independent talent from around the world. Simply put, our mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives.
Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled independent professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere.
The Match & Data Standardization team is building the most extensive knowledge graph of work—our entities go beyond jobs, titles, skills, and companies into the different types of work and professionals, ranging from individuals to teams. Though our ontology is still maturing, we’re on our way to becoming the only platform capable of matching people to all work types. In this role, you’ll work closely with our ontology, data science, product, design, and engineering teams to build experiences that enable talent and hiring managers to easily express their offerings and needs.Your Responsibilities:
- Be responsible for your product area. You’ll collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify and drive improvements to Upwork’s matching experiences in order to meet the evolving needs of the business—this includes everything from our data to UX products.
- Know your market and customers. You’ll deeply understand and seek key trends in the broader landscape and the specific needs and mentalities of customers on both sides of the marketplace.
- Lead and partner with other product managers, designers, engineers, data scientists, analysts, ontologists, and product marketers to execute cross-product and cross-functional initiatives.
- Drive validated results and new insights through continuous quantitative tests across the Upwork ecosystem.
- Experience shipping high quality user experiences. You know how to build simple but effective experiences for complex products and/or data rich platforms with design and data science partners.
- Excellent communication skills. You have a strong executive presence for collaborating with customers, peers, colleagues, and executives. You can distill differing philosophies and approaches down to the essence and corral partners toward alignment. You can succinctly articulate goals, progress, and priorities in written, verbal, and presentation formats.
- The ability to go broad as well as deep. You solve for the bigger picture and long term goals whilst rolling up your sleeves to write user stories in JIRA and debug issues.
- Have a passion for ontology, taxonomy, and data models. You understand enough to hold your own during discussions with technical team members.
- Comfort with ambiguity and complexity. We’re building the world’s work marketplace and no one has done this yet! This is net new but within an ecosystem that’s been around for more than a decade, which comes with its own challenges.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 15 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.