Upwork (UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We help connect companies large and small with top independent talent from around the world. Simply put, our mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives.
Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled independent professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere.
Upwork is looking for an outstanding leader ready for a newly-formed VP role to lead the strategic direction of the organization's global public policy issues. This role offers the chance to transform program priorities within public policy debates (both inside and outside government). In this role, you will help us fulfill our vision of connecting business with extraordinary talent to work without limits!
This is remote-first role (where you can live and work from any one of our approved locations) will report directly to Upwork’s Chief Business Affairs & Legal Officer and serve as a key member of, and contributor to, Upwork’s award-winning legal/policy team that Law.com recently recognized as 2021’s “Most Innovative Legal Department” in the United States.Responsibilities:
- Craft the external policy narratives of Upwork and be a leading evangelist for those stories around the world
- Engage with business partners (federal, state and local elected officials, third-party groups, and industry partners) on issues impacting freelancers and other small business owners building their businesses with Upwork
- Build coalitions and develop new programs and projects to make it easier for individuals/entrepreneurs to become freelancers
- Maintain a global network of outside counsel and relationships with trade associations to improve intelligence gathering to best advise our decisions
- Work collaboratively with Upwork’s CEO, VP, Communications, and senior legal team members to align on strategy for the company’s multi-year policy goals
- Partner with Upwork’s Chief Economist to illustrate the impact of proposed policy changes on freelancers
- Serve as an effective voice and advocate for Upwork regarding policy issues, including in external meetings, conferences and publications
- Analyze global legislative and regulatory proposals and provide recommendations on their interconnection for cross-functional internal collaboration
- Advise and communicate efficiently to internal Upwork teams on public policy matters to guide development of products, services and policies
- Prior experience with marketplace companies, whether as a regulator/staff, and/or in the private sector
- Prior engagement with global policymakers and other third parties
- Outstanding communicator who can advocate for issues externally in public settings as well as explain their impacts internally
- Experience leading teams in public or private sector environment, with ideal candidate having worked in both environments
- Detailed knowledge and experience of regulatory and legislative processes at the federal level
- Keen ability to translate between the specialist languages of technology, politics and the law
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment; relishes the opportunity to define priorities and metrics of success
- Experience working with media, including acting as a spokesperson and having pre-existing media relationships
- Consistent track record of writing and delivering articles, speeches and presentations on relevant topics
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 15 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.