Quick Take: Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We are hiring a Director of IT to build and manage Axios’ growing IT function. This is a role for an experienced and entrepreneurial problem solver who will help us scale as an organization in a thoughtful, secure, and responsive fashion.
Why it Matters: By leveraging your ability to partner effectively across teams and business units, you will build and manage the future of operational IT for Axios.
- Manage daily operations of the IT function across Axios, in close partnership with Infrastructure, People Operations, and Engineering teams.
- Develop the OKRs, roadmap, and deliver on the execution of your roadmap to improve operational efficiency, operating cost, security, communications, and supports the needs of the business.
- Automate manual tasks to allow greater operational efficiency.
- Ensure seamless and timely onboarding and offboarding of Axios personnel.
- Ensure seamless day-to-day operations with straight-forward manners to request work, know the status of open items, and develop and maintain metrics of success.
- Mentor, manage, and grow more junior IT professionals, coaching on quarterly efforts, as well as supporting them to work through more long-term career advancement.
- Utilize your entrepreneurial skills to support Axios is building an IT function to support its expanding business.
- An IT leader who has had experience building a team from the ground up, operationalizing IT, and increasing the security footprint while balancing rigor with pragmatism.
- Experience managing FT and contract employees and vendors.
- Extensive experience building and delivering against roadmaps in partnership with business stakeholders.
- Expert understanding of hardware, personal computing practices, and connectivity.
- Experience building cost models, with visibility into spend and effort, making recommendations for finding economy where reasonable, and articulating tradeoffs.
- Experience building roadmaps for delivery, scoping and estimating work, and transparently communicating risks, progress, and obstacles.
- Experience with office setup and extension, networking, and A/V management.
- Extensive experience supporting remote employees with some preferred experience supporting employees internationally.
- Extensive experience managing helpdesk operations, tooling, and workflows.
- Clear written and verbal communication.
- A passion for media and the mission of Axios is strongly preferred.
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Company-sponsored access to Ginger coaching and mental health support
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Class pass discount
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.