About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust, a Fortune 500 company, is a globally recognized, award-winning financial institution that has been in continuous operation since 1889.
Northern Trust is proud to provide innovative financial services and guidance to the world's most successful individuals, families and institutions by remaining true to our enduring principles of service, expertise and integrity. With more than 130 years of financial experience and over 22,000 partners, we serve the world's most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
We are searching for a Senior Media Relations Specialist to join our team. The Senior Media Relations Specialist role serves Northern Trust's Asset Management business unit of Northern Trust Asset Management (NTAM) is a global investment manager that helps investors navigate changing market environments so they can confidently realize their long-term objectives. Entrusted with approximately US$1 trillion in investor assets, we understand that investing ultimately serves a greater purpose and believe investors should be compensated for the risks they take - in all market environments and any investment strategy. NTAM combines robust capital markets research, expert portfolio construction and comprehensive risk management to craft innovative and efficient solutions that deliver targeted investment outcomes. As engaged contributors to our communities, we consider it a great privilege to serve our investors and our communities with integrity, respect, and transparency.
The Senior Media Relations Specialist will report to the Head of Corporate Communications, and the role includes the following:
- Create media outreach plans that support Asset Management business and strategic goals
- Collaborate with Asset Management marketing to align PR with multi-channel strategic marketing campaigns
- Collaborate on digital content strategies on platforms including Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn
- Experience using social media listening / measurement tools
- Develop relationships with members of the media - print, digital and broadcast - who focus on Asset Management, including top-tier and trade media focused on institutional investors and Registered Investment Advisors
- Secure media interviews for spokespeople on topics that reflect Northern Trust capabilities and expertise
- Prepare thought leaders/media spokespeople for interviews through media training and the creation of messaging and briefing documents
- Provide media coaching and consulting to subject matter experts and executives
- Meet with all levels throughout the organization to find compelling stories and gather information for publication
- Work closely with Corporate Communications team and Asset Management Marketing team
- Respond to outside media requests for information as appropriate
- Manage work with external PR agency
- Create and manage effective metrics for tracking results and success, and report back regularly to manager and the business unit leadership.
Knowledge and Skills
- A college or university degree in public relations, communications, journalism, or equivalent experience is required
- 10+ years' work experience in similar industry, preferred.
- Experience in journalism, corporate communications, and/or agency media relations, with Asset Management / financial services experience strongly preferred.
- Solid understanding of media relations / social media tools, techniques and best practices.
Working with Us:
- Strong knowledge and experience in journalism/content creation, media relations, social media marketing and branding
- Demonstrated capabilities in financial services / Asset Management communications
- Superb writing, editing and proof-reading skills for materials including media pitches, messaging documents, press releases and social media content
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working closely with senior executives
- Attentiveness to detail to ensure the accuracy and quality of work
- Understanding of crisis communications and managing reputational risk
- Adept at managing multiple short and long-term tasks and projects, from strategy to execution to measurement
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability manage projects, contribute to larger group efforts, and adapt to new assignments and deadlines.
- Proficiency in tools such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), social media and media relations tools
As a Northern Trust partner, greater achievements await. You will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture in an organization where financial strength and stability is an asset that emboldens us to explore new ideas.
Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company committed to assisting the communities we serve! Join a workplace with a greater purpose.
We'd love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world's most admired and sustainable companies! Build your career with us and apply today. #MadeForGreater
Northern Trust is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email our HR Service Center at [email protected]
We hope you're excited about the role and the opportunity to work with us. We value an inclusive workplace and understand flexibility means different things to different people.
Apply today and talk to us about your flexible working requirements and together we can achieve greater.