Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We help connect companies large and small with top independent talent from around the world. Simply put, our mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives.
Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled independent professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere.
As Senior Director, Internal Communications, you will join the Communications team responsible for telling stories that increase Upwork awareness and favorable brand perception. The Upwork Communications team consists of the Media Relations, Analyst Relations, Internal Communications, Social Media, and Economic Research. You will report to the VP of Communications.
The Senior Director of Internal Communications will lead the strategy and execution of Upwork’s internal communications efforts. We are in a time of transformation, and we are looking for a builder who can audit our existing efforts and then construct a program from the ground up. You will work alongside our executive team and will bring your maturity and emotional intelligence to bear in this high visibility and high accountability role. This is an exciting chance to make your mark by educating and inspiring our workforce of both full-time employees and freelancers to do their best work.Your Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement, and scale a creative internal communications plan that cultivates greater team (full-time employee and freelancer) engagement and alignment, and helps retain talent.
- Lead all corporate internal communications – including All Hands, weekly Q&As, leadership forums, and communications from our CEO and CHRO.
- Build a team of internal communications experts to bring your vision to life.
- Be a trusted advisor, partnering with our leadership team to ensure their communications are clear, concise, and compelling.
- Ensure communications are cascaded appropriately across the organization so that the right team members have the right information at the right time.
- In partnership with HR, develop and foster content and engagement programs to inform team members and unite them under common values.
- In lockstep with IT and HR, stand up our intranet so team members have a single source of truth for information.
- Experience working for organizations that are scaling and going through change.
- Marketplace experience.
- Proven success collaborating with and influencing cross-functional partners and executives.
- Experiencing building and leading a team.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- A calm demeanor under pressure.
- Attention to detail.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 15 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.