Senior Director, Internal Communications at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We help connect companies large and small with top independent talent from around the world. Simply put, our mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives.
Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled independent professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere.
As Senior Director, Internal Communications, you will join the Communications team responsible for telling stories that increase Upwork awareness and favorable brand perception. The Upwork Communications team consists of the Media Relations, Analyst Relations, Social Media, Internal Communications, and Economic Research. You will report to the VP of Communications.
The Senior Director of Internal Communications will lead the strategy and execution of Upwork’s internal communications efforts. One of the things that is unique about Upwork is that ¾ of our workforce is freelancers, so you’ll not only be responsible for educating and inspiring full-time employees to do their best work, you’ll also be responsible for doing the same among our freelancer team members as well.Your Responsibilities:
- Develop, execute, and scale a creative internal communications plan that fosters greater team (full-time employee and freelancer) engagement and alignment, and helps retain talent.
- Lead all corporate internal communications – including All Hands, weekly Q&As, leadership forums, and communications from our CEO and CHRO.
- Build a team of internal communications experts supporting various functions, including Product and Engineering.
- Be a trusted advisor, partnering with our leadership team to ensure their communications are clear, concise, and compelling.
- Ensure communications are cascaded appropriately across the organization so that the right team members have the right information at the right time.
- In partnership with HR, develop and foster content and engagement programs to inform team members and unite them under common values.
- In partnership with IT and HR, stand up our intranet so team members have a single source of truth for information.
- Experience working at organizations that are scaling and going through change.
- Experience working at organizations that have a large number of team members who are freelancers.
- Experience doing communications for marketplaces.
- Proven success at collaborating with and influencing cross-functional partners and executives.
- Experiencing building and leading a team.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- A calm demeanor under pressure.
- Attention to detail.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 15 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.