Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 68 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Coinbase is leading the expansion of digital assets into the financial mainstream. We are building a world-class Policy team to lead Coinbase’s engagement, advocacy, and outreach efforts with policymakers around the world. In this role, you will be one of the first leadership members of the Policy team, at a company where disruptive technologies and unconventional thinking are the norm. You will have an extraordinary opportunity to be on the leading edge of policy development, with an immediate and critical impact in crafting Coinbase’s international strategy.
The role is a remote position and reports directly to the Chief Policy Officer. You will lead Coinbase’s global regulatory policy strategy. Your expertise makes you a persuasive and effective advisor internally with our senior management and business executives, as well as externally when dealing with and building relationships with government officials and regulators. In developing and leading our advocacy strategy with regulators, you will work to ensure global alignment in our messaging across all of our regulatory interactions.
For the right person, we would be open to this person being based in the US or the UK.
This role’s leadership responsibilities include:
- Shaping the policy environment and narrative around crypto for leadership at all regulatory agencies with jurisdiction over the company’s business at the state, federal, and international levels.
- Cross-functional collaboration with Legal, Compliance, Product, Finance, Global Intelligence, Enterprise Risk, Data, and Comms teams to strategically support the company’s product roadmap.
- Develop scalable tools and processes to provide trusted and thoughtful analysis on complicated and novel policy issues, along with proposing effective solutions, to regulators around the world.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- In partnership with CPO, develop and drive Coinbase’s regulatory policy agenda, which includes principles and policies related to crypto and fintech regulation, consumer protection, privacy, money laundering and illicit finance, taxes, and technological innovation
- Actively engage with, facilitate and maintain relationships and critical networks on all crypto related policy issues with government officials at regulatory agencies, including preparation of presentation materials that develop deep and enduring relationships
- Cultivate a strong relationship with our business and product teams to deliver pragmatic and opportune policy guidance, and to develop an innovative regulatory outreach strategy that proactively educates our regulators on the value of our products and services to the public.
- Monitor and manage external resources to ensure that the company is informed of and optimally positioned to respond to policy developments and emerging policy trends, including responding to requests for comment and consultation, position papers, and other regulatory advocacy documents
- Work cross functionally to ensure that policy initiatives are aligned with current and future corporate strategy initiatives; actively monitor and engage with relevant external resources to ensure that the company is informed of and well positioned to respond to policy developments
- Supervise external policy communications for all of our regulatory interactions
- Develop budget and resource management plans for global regulatory affairs team
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Law degree or equivalent professional qualification
- 15+ years of experience in the financial services industry managing strategic government relations outreach with a diverse set of stakeholders within policy advocacy or in a government role
- Longstanding in-depth know-how and relationships in the areas of financial services and technology
- Demonstrated experience engaging and effectively interacting with the financial and consumer regulators at all levels of government including: SEC, CFTC, U.S. Treasury, CFPB, the Federal Reserve, FDIC, FCA, BaFin, MAS, Japan’s FSA, central banks, state consumer protection agencies, state financial services regulators
- Strategic understanding of how and when to respond to regulators’ requests for comment and consultation, and how and when to participate in bilateral meetings, conferences, and closed-door meetings
- Experience advising Product and Engineering teams to consider and operationalize policy considerations as part of their business roadmaps
- Superlative writing and communication skills
- Enthusiasm for working on novel issues in a turbocharged environment, combined with a proclivity for proactive collaboration when problem solving
- Excellent recruitment and team-building skills
- A strong interest in digital assets, crypto markets, and blockchain technology
- High-EQ and a passion for acting like an owner
- Willingness to travel
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.