Policy Counsel, Public Policy at Coinbase
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Coinbase is leading the expansion of digital assets into the financial mainstream. We are building a world-class Policy team to lead Coinbase’s engagement, advocacy, and outreach efforts with policymakers around the world. In this role, you will be one of the first members of the Policy team, at a company where disruptive technologies and unconventional thinking are the norm. You will have an extraordinary opportunity to be on the leading edge of policy development, with an immediate and critical impact in Coinbase’s global policy strategy.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Conduct policy, legislative, and regulatory research that reflect the policy team’s priorities and contribute to critical policy outcomes
- Distill and share the company’s perspective on key policy issues with external stakeholders
- Monitor and analyze policy trends for the company; succinctly synthesize the information for internal audiences on potential or proposed international, federal, and state legislation or agency action
- Draft materials in a variety of formats (e.g., long-form documents, social media posts, presentations, talking points, legislative testimony, position papers, advocacy letters) that advance Coinbase’s policy priorities, including commenting on proposed legislation and rules; advocating for the company’s perspective with key officials and the general public; and brief elected officials, senior senior administrative officials, and their staff on a variety of digital assets and blockchain issues
- Work collaboratively with fellow policy team members and cross-functional colleagues to write, publish and widely disseminate policy briefs, fact sheets, talking points, infographics, reports, and other documents that will educate and influence legislators, agency officials, stakeholders and the general public
- Work closely with subject matter experts throughout the company to draft materials that share our research, analysis, and possible recommendations with key officials
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Law degree and 5+ years of experience
- Superlative research and writing skills
- A strong interest in digital assets and blockchain technology
- Confident in discussing a variety of issues related to digital assets policy, including securities and commodities law, technical innovation, privacy and cybersecurity, consumer protection, and law enforcement and illicit finance
- High-EQ and a passion for acting like an owner
- Should be a creative thinker who has a demonstrated experience in developing novel approaches to policy challenges
- Ability to provide and articulate thought leadership, analyze legislative and administrative policy
- An understanding of issues relating to law, public policy and the strategies and tools needed to achieve policy change using legislative, administrative and regulatory processes
- Thrives at drafting key deliverables for multiple fast-moving complex advocacy campaigns, and with a high degree of independence;
- Strong time management skills, including an ability to meet multiple deadlines under fluid conditions
- Enthusiasm for working on a variety of issues at the international, federal, and state levels
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.