Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
This is a remote role and the Investigator will be reporting to the head of UK Investigations. The Investigator will work with law enforcement and other agencies to investigate instances of suspected criminal activity. The Investigator will also respond to legal orders compelling Coinbase to provide evidence.
What you’ll be doing:
May perform some or all of the following activities to support ongoing investigations (Reactive) and to identify opportunities for information gathering and case progression (Proactive):
- Investigate suspicious activity and when appropriate refer cases to law enforcement.
- Review information forwarded to Global Intelligence from Information Security, Compliance and Fraud/Risk teams for potential case development.
- Review information sent to us by law enforcement and other agencies to determine if there is an opportunity to develop a case.
- When necessary serve in an advisory role to management in relation to suspected criminal activity or to develop information with informational/intelligence value.
- Review, log, and respond to legal requests for information from Law Enforcement.
- Provide briefings to senior leadership on investigative work and team performance metrics.
- Review and process law enforcement seizures.
- Collaborate on cross function initiatives to implement control measures related to financial crime
What we look for in you:
- B.A./B.S. degree or equivalent work experience.
- The successful candidate should have the ability to obtain a government security clearance if/when needed.
- Minimum 1 year prior experience investigating cybercrime/financial crimes, particularly for other financial or tech companies.
- A working knowledge of global law enforcement agencies (especially within the US, EU and UK, that the investigator will be working with while at Coinbase)
- Working knowledge of cybercrime and financial crime types that may be detected within the Coinbase system.
- Experience responding to subpoenas and other law enforcement requests for information.
- Ability to deal with and successfully operate within an ambiguous regulatory environment.
- Must have the ability to operate independently when required and be highly self motivated.
- Proven effective time management and organizational skills.
- Intermediate to advanced experience working with word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as accomplish work assignments under minimal supervision and sometimes tight deadlines.
- Excellent writing, analytical and communication skills.
Nice to haves:
- Well versed in Cryptocurrency analytics and research.
- Diverse experience investigating cybercrime.
- Deep connections in banking or law enforcement.
- Familiarity with data analysis tools such as Looker, Snowflake, and SQL
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and to review all of our job postings to minimize biased language. Coinbase does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.