Varo is an entirely new kind of bank. All digital, mission-driven, FDIC insured, and designed for the way our customers live their lives.
A bank for all of us.
About the Legal Team
Varo’s Legal team is responsible for all things “legal” at Varo. This means that we support the business: by identifying and highlighting any legal risks, interpreting law and providing compliance recommendations, conducting contract reviews and negotiations, support for licensing, Varo IP asset management, Varo Product reviews, drafting product disclosure, support for corporate financing rounds, managing shareholder communications, engaging directly with regulatory bodies, and more. We also manage our team of outside counsels, maintain a repository of all legal documents, and are responsible for Varo’s Privacy and other policies.
About the role
Varo is seeking an exceptional attorney to support our Human Resources and business partners on employment law matters in Varo’s locations, providing pragmatic, risk-weighted advice on a broad range of employment, benefits, and related compliance matters. This role will also support non-employment litigation and oversee third-party claims affecting Varo’s business. This role involves leading and handling cutting-edge and complex legal projects and matters.
As Employment and Litigation Counsel you’ll...
- Advise and support Varo Human Resources and business partners on employment-law related matters, including hiring, performance management, terminations, discrimination, harassment, accommodations, leaves of absence, wage and hour issues, incentive compensation, benefits (including plan design, implementation, administration and communications), employee investigations, restructuring initiatives and corporate development (M&A) activity
- Maintain subject matter expertise and actively monitor new laws, regulations and decisions affecting the substantive legal areas above and provide strategic advice to the Legal team
- Draft and negotiate offer letters and employment-related agreements, including severance, separation, restrictive covenant, retention and other employment-related agreements; draft employee-facing policies, handbooks and other resources
- Assist in designing and leading training events on employment law and benefits matters
- Manage arbitrations, pre-filing demands, including investigating claims, communicating with opposing counsel and negotiating resolution
- Draft and/or review pre-litigation and litigation documents, including correspondence with opposing counsel, pleadings and mediation/arbitration statements
- Manage outside counsel handling both employment and non-employment litigation, including management of budgets, directing litigation strategy, and reviewing pleadings and other documents
- Support employment-related aspects of mergers, acquisitions, strategic investments and divestitures, including due diligence and related integration efforts
- Advise and counsel on both day-to-day issues as well as strategic and systemic initiatives
- Respond to attorney demand letters and agency matters, including government-initiated inquiries and audits
You have the following required experience...
- J.D. with top academic credentials
- Admitted and in good and active standing to practice law in California or Utah
- 5-7+ years’ extensive experience in employment law and litigation experience at a major law firm
- Benefits experience, including advising senior leaders and benefits professionals on a range of ERISA, fiduciary compliance, plan governance, and legal compliance matters and related plan documentation
- Executive compensation experience in-house and/or at a major law firm
- Track record of working efficiently with a client-service focus in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to interact with legal and business leaders internally and externally
- Process-oriented with a desire for constant improvement and development of best practices
- Hard-working and a self-starter with the ability to operate independently with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment and meet tight deadlines
- Strong integrity and commitment to ethics
Varo launched in 2017 with the vision to bring the best of fintech into the regulated banking system. We’re a new kind of bank – all digital, mission-driven, FDIC-insured, and designed around the modern American consumer.
As the first consumer fintech to be granted a national bank charter in 2020, we make financial inclusion and opportunity for all a reality by empowering everyone with the products, insights, and support they need to get ahead. Through our core product offerings and suite of customer-first features, we aim to address a broad range of consumer needs while profitably serving underserved communities that have been historically excluded from the traditional financial system.
We are growing quickly in our hub locations of San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and Charlotte along with colleagues located across the country. We have been recognized among Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Forbes’ Fintech 50, and earned the No. 7 spot on Inc. 5000’s list of fastest-growing companies across the country.
Varo. A bank for all of us.
Our Core Values
- Customers First
- Take Ownership
- Stay Curious
- Make it Better
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Learn more about Varo by following us:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/varomoney
Instagram - www.instagram.com/varobank
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/company/varobank
Twitter - https://twitter.com/varobank
Engineering Blog - https://medium.com/engineering-varo
SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/varobank
Beware of fraudulent job postings!
Varo will never ask for payment to process documents, refer you to a third party to process applications or visas, or ask you to pay costs. Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide work with Varo. If you suspect you have received a phony offer, please e-mail [email protected] with the pertinent information and contact information.
Read Full Job Description