Commercial Counsel at Karat
Karat’s purpose is to unlock opportunity, and we built the world’s first Interviewing Cloud to conduct predictive, fair, and enjoyable technical interviews 24/7. Karat helps companies expand interviewing capacity, unlock developer time, and raise engineering quality so they can hire smarter and grow faster, and create more opportunities for software engineers. From our industry-leading solutions to Karat’s Brilliant Black Minds program, the work we do here matters. We’re a team of passionate, focused, human-centric team, and we want you to join us!Come join our Legal team
Our Legal team is dedicated to supporting Karat’s people, solving complex problems with both a business and a legal mindset, and serving as a strategic partner across every function in our dynamic organization. We embrace innovation, creative-thinking, and teamwork in our mission to empower Karat’s successes.What you will do
As Commercial Counsel at Karat, you will serve as one of the first members of our growing Legal team. Focusing on commercial transactions and negotiations — primarily customer and vendor agreements — you will be essential in accelerating our dealmaking cycles. Partnering directly with the growth engine of our business, you will have ownership and opportunity to contribute across many aspects of the business given Karat’s high-growth trajectory.
Karat’s HQ is based in Seattle, Washington, but we are open to remote U.S.-based candidates for this role. Immigration sponsorship is not available for this position.
- Negotiate enterprise customer agreements to support Karat's sales cycles and capacity.
- Develop legal templates, workflows, processes, policies and playbooks to help optimize contracting efficiency and help Karat grow and scale.
- Strategize and counsel on the various risks and opportunities of proposed commercial transactions (including data usage, privacy, security, liability, and indemnities).
- Devise creative, practical legal solutions to meet cross-organizational business objectives.
- Partner with the broader organization to support each team’s procurement needs and negotiate vendor contracts.
- Work closely with cross-functional partners to understand broader needs and objectives in order to deliver pragmatic, business-minded advice.
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school
- Bar admission in current good standing, with license to practice in at least one U.S. state
- 3+ years of hands-on experience negotiating commercial agreements (preferably in B2B2C, B2B SaaS, or another technology-focused industry)
- Excellent business judgment and ability to balance risk-reward in a manner to provide pragmatic, solution-oriented advice that does not compromise core legal protections
- Highly proficient in key commercial negotiation points, strategies, and solutions
- Strong interpersonal skills; can drive a deal process towards a positive outcome quickly, collaboratively, and with effective communication
- Growth mindset and the ability to pivot in order to meet the evolving needs and priorities of Karat stakeholders
- Experience leading long-term design improvements of contract documentation (policies, templates) and workflows
Karat strives to offer everything you need to best support you today, tomorrow, and beyond. We’re proud of our current offerings, and highlight some of our team’s favorites below. There are more, just feel free to ask!Compensation / Time Off:
- Highly competitive salary and stock options
- Generous paid PTO (see below) and Sick Leave (10 days per year)
- Flexible Time Off Policy for salaried positions
- Three weeks accrued per year for hourly positions
- Parental Leave (12 weeks paid with transition back to work in part-time capacity)
- 18 paid Company Holidays for 2021
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance via Cigna or Kaiser (for CA-based employees)
- 100% premium covered for employees
- 70% premium covered for dependents
- FSA, STD, LTD, Standard Life Insurance, and Optional Life Insurance
- Mental Wellness offerings such as Calm, Happify, Talkspace, Modern Health, and more
- $150 per month contribution to miscellaneous benefit/wellness of employee’s choice
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Karat.
We value a diverse workforce: people of color, womxn, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know at [email protected]