Earnest’s mission is to make higher education accessible and affordable for everyone. We empower past, present, and soon-to-be students to maximize their financial futures through thoughtful guidance and impactful products.
We build tools that help people feel in control of their financial future, including:
- Private student loans - low rates, people-first service, and flexible payments.
- Student loan refinancing - break free from high interest rates or monthly payments.
- Scholarships - access to thousands of scholars to help students pay less.
The Lead Business Analyst position will report to the Manager of Analytics.
As the Lead Business Analyst, you will play a pivotal role in our organization, contributing to our growth and success by providing invaluable insights and analysis to drive strategy and to ensure we are successfully executing against our goals as a business. This role requires true analytical curiosity and the ability to solve open-ended problems. You are comfortable analyzing and distilling deep insights from large amounts of data to improve the performance of the business across various teams. You have excellent communication skills and have experience presenting complex analyses to leadership teams and cross-functional partners.
What you’ll do:
- Ongoing Performance Insights
- Lead ongoing development of models, analyses, and dashboards against our business to drive visibility for our leadership team
- Deliver weekly executive business reports, translating data into actionable insights that drive strategic decision-making
- KPI Design and Interpretation
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to design, implement, and interpret key performance metrics
- Perform root cause analysis to understand what’s driving performance across key business metrics
- Strategic Analysis
- Support strategic initiatives from planning to execution, offering data-driven recommendations and tracking their success
- Provide analysis that contributes to the development of business plans, budgets, and forecasts to align with our growth objectives
- Cross-Functional Partnership
- Build strong relationships with cross-functional leaders in operations, strategy, finance, and general management teams
- Work collaboratively to constantly elevate deep analysis and insights, fostering a culture of data-driven decision-making
- Team Management and Coaching
- Coach analysts through their analysis, providing guidance and feedback to enhance their analytical skills
- Prioritize analytics work and initiatives, ensuring alignment with business objectives and resource optimization
- Informed data decision-making at all levels of the organization, reducing the risk of making decisions based on intuition or incomplete information
- The ability for us to act quickly against your insights and recommendations to improve our overall business
- Our leadership team will have a constant pulse of what’s working and not working across our different initiatives through reporting and insights up-leveled to them
- Deep understanding of performance against our key strategic initiatives to keep moving us forward as a business
- Bachelor's degree (B.S.) in quantitative field such as Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Business, or Finance or a combination of relevant education, experience and training
- 4+ years of relevant work experience in a data-centric role (e.g. analytics, business intelligence, strategy, management consulting, investment banking, etc.)
- 1+ years of people management or mentorship experience
- Excellent communications skills and an ability to drive storytelling and presentation up to executive-level leadership
- Experience manipulating and summarizing data using SQL
- Experience in using analytics tools such as Snowflake, Looker, DBT, and Amplitude
- Experience developing forecasting models
- Experience using in a statistical software such as Python or R
Earnies are committed to helping students live their best lives, free from the stress of student debt. If you’re as passionate as we are about our mission, read more below, and let’s build something great together!
What makes an “Earnie” culture:
- Drivers – Drivers are satisfied by making things happen, not coming along for the ride. They feel a strong sense of ownership for their projects and teams and demand high standards from themselves and others.
- Humility – Humble team players check their egos and consider the team’s needs above their own. They are self-aware of their strengths and opportunities for improvement.
- Growth Mindset – People with a growth mindset approach challenges and failures as learning opportunities. They seek feedback to improve, give feedback to others, and genuinely want to perform well.
Earnest believes in enabling our employees to live their best lives. We offer a variety of perks and competitive benefits, including:
- Health, Dental, & Vision benefits plus savings plans
- Work anywhere in the U.S.
- Mac computers + work from home stipend to set up your home office
- Monthly internet and phone reimbursement
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- 401(k) plan to help you save for retirement plus a company match
- Robust tuition reimbursement program
- $1,000 travel perk on each Earnie-versary to anywhere in the world
- Competitive days of annual PTO
- Annual “my day”
- Pet insurance!
- Competitive parental leave
- Plenty of Earnest swag, optional in person team gatherings, picnics, celebrations, and plenty of fun virtual events
At Earnest, we are committed to building an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging enables us to move forward with our mission. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage anyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Earnest provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status disability or genetics. Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for the position in a manner consistent with the Fair Chance Ordinance.
A little about our pay philosophy: We take pride in ensuring we are compensating our employees fairly and equitably. We are showcasing a range and actual starting pay may be based on several factors including but not limited to, market rate, the qualified pool of candidates, internal compensation, candidate location, and budgetary constraints. This number does not necessarily reflect your total compensation, but is a range for your base salary.